Why become a member? ×

Called to play a solo.

TimR

Some people like flash stuff, some don’t…

end of thread?

well, I always look at the band and they say “bass solo?” And I oblige - and it’s crap, first time round - but I refine it and make it a thing…

as I said earlier, I sometimes follow vocal melody, I approach everything as it suits.

some people really buzz off making the foundation, some people like to show off - some like to add a counterpoint to a song.

the guitarist and I have to make all the noise, so I do what I can.

I dunno - the best thing about music is that there’s effectively no “right” or “wrong”.

Just don’t listen, if you don’t want to.

I steal ideas every time I see a solo bass player.

im sure I signed off the same earlier in the thread - each to their own.

but - on the subject of Richard Bona - this was an awakening for me. Jools Holland…

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ubit said:

Could it be any clearer? 

OK. We'll maybe I'll concede, obviously if you've paid loads of money to get into a Richard Bona gig, I would suggest you go to the box office and complain to them and try and get your money back.

Went to see Richard Bona at the jazz cafe mid-week about 10 years ago. 

Doors opened at 7. We arrived at 8. Usually bands start at 9. He eventually appeared at 10pm.

At 10:30 large numbers of people started to leave to catch the last train home, so they could get up in the morning for work.

3 minutes ago, TimR said:

Doors opened at 7. We arrived at 8. Usually bands start at 9. He eventually appeared at 10pm.

At 10:30 large numbers of people started to leave to catch the last train home, so they could get up in the morning for work.

That's a long time to wait to get a bona.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 17/11/2021 at 12:48, BigRedX said:

Solos are for boring old fashioned bands.

Every note I write and subsequently play has been carefully considered and orchestrated ahead of time to to be the best possible note (IMO) to go with what the other musicians are doing at any given moment in the song.

The song is the most important thing.

Wow! Someone better tell Dizzy Gillespie

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, TimR said:

You're telling me they managed a full half hour?😲

On 24/11/2021 at 17:17, wateroftyne said:

Just Googled him.

Presumably this was a performance in a prison, and the audience weren't allowed out of their seats?

That's the same one I posted on the last page, but for some reason when I post a YouTube video on here it will only post a link instead of embedding the video. 

23 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

That's the same one I posted on the last page, but for some reason when I post a YouTube video on here it will only post a link instead of embedding the video. 

Try taking out the s of the https maybe you're logged onto YouTube or something. Or just strip it to www.etc

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2021 at 21:21, Elfrasho said:

Assuming the drummer keeps going, just lock a groove with the beat. Nae need for big show off pieces. A 16 bar bit of just drums and bass finely connected is a thing of beauty. Maybe not a true solo. But the best option in my opinion! 

My new band has given me a passage for just me and the drummer and though I'd love to do some flash stuff I do exactly this. In that song it creates some suspense and tension that's released by the guitarists and vocals coming back in. 

Other times I go mental up the dusty end though. Hard not to when given the chance.

• Like 2

I think a Jazz show is slightly different as you're already prepared for a barrage of unlikely harmonies in every tune (and the trumpet showing that he can play HIGH and LOUD twice a break) and are presumably there because you enjoy that sort of rum thing.

In other gig environments I feel it's considered polite to make an announcement and take a short break prior to a potential bass solo so that non-combatants and those of a nervous disposition have chance to clear the field.