Why become a member? ×

Called to play a solo.

TimR

20 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

They're right up there with drum solo's on a list of things nobody wants to hear. Except maybe the bass player and drummer. 

Interesting, because every gig I've either played or watched which featured drum and bass solos, those are the moments that seem to get some of the biggest applause. Especially drum solos.

I'm genuinely surprised that so many bass players have such a dislike for bass solos, and solos in general.

• Like 2

This is really one of the only types of 'bass solo' I like. One that's been worked out within the context of the song and compliments it.....

The late, great Paul Goddard, live on stage with Southern rockers 'Atlanta Rhythm Section'. Go to 3:00 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I'm genuinely surprised that so many bass players have such a dislike for bass solos, and solos in general.

I admit in the past I have been cheering to solos just as much as anyone else but I realised I don't really enjoy this. It's like when your favourite artist is doing something on his instrument you cheer. You don't go oh, it was ok but get back into the songs. You just go with the crowd. Some artists could fart and they would get a cheer.

• Like 2

Drum Solo: usually band stops and drummer hits everything in sight that doesn't move quick enough to get out of the way. Can be any number of bars or any time signature, poly-rhythms with different time signatures on each limb gain extra applause. Everyone is pleased when it ends. 

Choral solo: singer sings with all other instruments still playing. At end of solo, rest of choir join in. 

Acapella solo: see also Freddie Mercury. 

Guitar solo: usually rest of band play verse while guitarist plays as many notes as possible in the given time. Except for Eric Clapton, David Gilmour and some other notable exceptions. In rare cases band gets bored, put down instruments and go for a beer.

Keys solo: always playing solos even when not supposed to. Difficult to determine when solo starts and when it ends. 

Bass solo: usually, drums continue, guitar comps and bass plays something melodic rather than bass and harmony, except when the bass plays just the bass groove. Except notable exceptions where the band stops and the bass player pretends to be a drummer. See above. If the band has keys player, someone unplugs them at this point. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, ubit said:

I admit in the past I have been cheering to solos just as much as anyone else but I realised I don't really enjoy this. It's like when your favourite artist is doing something on his instrument you cheer. You don't go oh, it was ok but get back into the songs. You just go with the crowd. Some artists could fart and they would get a cheer.

I'm always amused when the audience cheer just because the band have walked on stage.

Why do that? They might be awful. Even a well-known band with a great back catalogue of songs may fail to deliver at a gig.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

I'm always amused when the audience cheer just because the band have walked on stage.

Why do that? They might be awful. Even a well-known band with a great back catalogue of songs may fail to deliver at a gig.

I once walked onstage to a room full of work colleagues. They weren't regular gig goers and it was complete silence. It was horrible. I said down the mic, you can clap and it was almost like they were relived that they now knew how to behave at a gig. So I am going to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Nice theory but the reality was not good. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Why? 

The audience are there voluntarily, because they are anticipating that the band are going to be good. The cheer when they come on is in anticipation, or even (hopefully) excitement. If the band are cr*p, then they can always walk out, boo, throw things, post cutting negative comments on internet forums, etc. But the reason that punters have paid money / gone to the trouble to go to the gig is in the hope that they are going to actually enjoy the band! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Excitement? Anticipation? Encouragement?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cetera said:

This is really one of the only types of 'bass solo' I like. One that's been worked out within the context of the song and compliments it.....

The late, great Paul Goddard, live on stage with Southern rockers 'Atlanta Rhythm Section'. Go to 3:00 

Unfortunate acronym... 🙂

• Haha 1

There have been so very few musicians who can play a solo that is genuinely exciting and inspiring in the context of a band performance, most of them just come over as self indulgent twaddle, and I include some personal hero's work in that, even the late, genuinely great Neil Peart's solos were a bit hit and miss. Solo performers are a different case, John McLaughlin's solo work is awesome, but it's not just about his technique, it's about the music, Jaco's Portrait of Tracy is a beautiful piece, as are some of Micheal Manrings pieces, but 5 minutes of solo guitar w*nk by (insert guitarist name here) in the middle of a concert. No thanks.

Take Prince's solo in While My Guitar Gently weeps at the Harrison Memorial Concert, as an exercise in technique it's astonishing, but more than that, it's an exercise in musicianship, and it leaves the performance all the greater for it. Mark King's brilliant work in (insert favourite Level 42 track here) is technically arresting, and he sings at the same time, astonishing playing. Geddy Lee's breaks in YYZ, answered by Peart's joint busting chops, gob-smacking, iconic. 

I think musical genres that are built around individual virtuosity, like some forms of Jazz, have a claim to extending the boundaries of musicianship and performance, but I personally find virtuosity for the sake of it to be a d*ck measuring exercise. 

The thunder thumbs video posted earlier, my god, what technique, what tone, what a huge ego... 32 bars of that and back to the song, brilliant. What, is he still playing the same solo? Dull.

As always, YMMV, and it's a much more interesting world that has diversity of ideas, styles and purpose, if we all liked the same stuff, it'd be boring.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I think a bit of unconditional love is OK at the beginning, and after all turning up is a very good start.

If the band are no good you can always boo, throw bottles of wee or write strongly worded complaint later.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

Interesting, because every gig I've either played or watched which featured drum and bass solos, those are the moments that seem to get some of the biggest applause. Especially drum solos.

I love a good solo.

Very much depends on who's doing it though - Trilock Gurtu drum/percussion solo, yes please. Tommy Lee drum solo, no thanks. 🙂

Same with other instruments - there are great solos & there are duffers trying to wing it & failing miserably.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Why do that?

It's showing appreciation. 

The performers are there to perform to you, you are there to enjoy the performance. 

I've noticed this with City vs Village audiences. City audiences seem to think its your job to make them enjoy themselves. Village audiences are there to enjoy whatever you do. YMMV.

I was at a dance competition once where the judge said (roughly) "Remember, you are there to entertain and the audience wants to be entertained, they want you to perform well. Enjoy yourself and it will show and make people happy. And remember there will always be some critics in the crowd looking for you to make mistakes and who like to criticise. So even if you perform badly, you're still making someone happy.

So enjoy yourselves and show you're enjoying yourselves."

Got a chuckle from me anyway. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, peteb said:

A point that some people here do not seem to be able to grasp. 

Over the years I've come to realise that solos in live performances are largely aimed at the non-musicians in the audience, who can just enjoy it for what it is & not indulge in an orgy of chin-stroking & dissection over every note/phrase/nuance.

• Like 4

I think the great thing about a solo is it can be improvised and anything can happen. It's why I enjoy playing and listening to live music. Anything can, and usually does, happen. 

Wrong notes, going into the wrong sections, starting in the wrong key, drum kits gaining a life of their own and wandering down stage, amps catching fire, dodgy sound mixes. It's all part of the live experience. 

A lot of that has become very sterile and clinical now. I think a lack of real live music on TV, multitrack recording on protools and auto tune have spoiled people somewhat. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, peteb said:

A point that some people here do not seem to be able to grasp. 

I can grasp it. I know they are there to entertain and a long drawn out solo might be their idea of entertaining but it's not mine. As said, until being blue in the face, any instrument taking LEAD is great. It's when everyone else stops and said musician subjects the audience to minutes of twiddling and twaddling to show their expertise that I get bored.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ubit said:

I can grasp it. I know they are there to entertain and a long drawn out solo might be their idea of entertaining but it's not mine. As said, until being blue in the face, any instrument taking LEAD is great. It's when everyone else stops and said musician subjects the audience to minutes of twiddling and twaddling to show their expertise that I get bored.

You might get bored, but plenty of other people don't. There is something in the human psyche that makes them want to be impressed by other people doing something that they can't, especially something artistic. Of course, this has to be terms that they can readily appreciate and they will become bored as soon as the effect has worn off. 

To put it in rock and roll terms, when Van Halen came out Eddie playing Eruption live was one of the highlights of the show. Many people were astounded by his virtuosity, the fresh approach and that the solo was flash yet musical and didn't go on for too long. Years later, as his solos got longer and more developed, people applauded the demonstration from Eddie Van Halen, the renowned guitar player. But I don't think that they enjoyed them as much.