Why become a member? ×

Called to play a solo.

TimR

I saw this posted on Instagram recently and it was being lauded by the bass worshipping masses. 

I find it utterly ridiculous!

It's like a bad comedy sketch.

When I say I can't stand bass solo's, this is precisely what I my mean. 

It's utter gash. 

https://youtu.be/Uu-bjr1leM4

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

My personal enjoyment of bass solos can be encapsulated in the following:

If I were to list my top 10 gigs I ever went to it would most likely include The Magic Band in 2002.

If I were to list my bottom 10 gig moments it would most likely include Rockette Morton's bass solo from the same gig.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I once walked onstage to a room full of work colleagues. They weren't regular gig goers and it was complete silence. It was horrible. I said down the mic, you can clap and it was almost like they were relived that they now knew how to behave at a gig. So I am going to respectfully disagree with you on this one. Nice theory but the reality was not good. 

Yeah I played a gig that started out like that, it improved later on in the evening when more people arrived but at the start of the gig there was all of 3 people at the venue and in the space between songs it was dead silence, noone clapped or cheered, the first hour of that gig was horrible, thankfully it improved but that is a situation I never want to have to go through again

25 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I saw this posted on Instagram recently and it was being lauded by the bass worshipping masses. 

It's utter gash. 

Whereas I'd completely disagree.  It's got flash and technique, but there is some nice phrasing and melodic lines in there because of how he's instantly playing what he's singing, and he throws in a couple of things for comedic effect.  

It's a really good, and relatively short, solo.

• Like 4

I like some jazz, but one of the things I don't like - and which is one of the things which I think gets jazz a bad name - is the type of gig where EVERY number requires EVERY player to take a solo in turn in some misplaced concept of democracy. You then get a forrest of notes thrown at you, which might be technically very good but about as musical as being hit with a brick. I much prefer it when it is much more mixed up, just an appropriate solo...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doddy said:

Interesting, because every gig I've either played or watched which featured drum and bass solos, those are the moments that seem to get some of the biggest applause. Especially drum solos.

Drum solos are good, gives you the oportunity to have a pee and get to the bar

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It's utter gash. 

Agreed. It doesn't matter how virtuosic a player is - as Richard Bona surely is - this kind of noodling grinds my gears as the Yanks say. Then again I do have an intense dislike of jazz in any form, especially electric fusion whatever. Right up there with prog as a load of self-indulgent bobbins. IMO that is before I get flamed.

My clip of Louis Johnson a couple of pages shows how a bit showboating can be pulled off without boring the titz off me i.e. when the groove is still being maintained while it fits in nicely with the rest of the tune.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

The option is not to go and see Richard Bona live. 

And if a band starts doing something you're not enjoying, leave. 

I think we've covered- "I don't play solos". Would be good to hear from some more bass players on how they approach playing solos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TimR said:

And if a band starts doing something you're not enjoying, leave. 

So you pay for an expensive ticket. Love the show and then they do one thing you don't like and you would leave? Aye right!

I love a good bass solo - more notes the better! Though I prefer ones where the drums keep going, and perhaps guitars and keys do a rhythmic stab on the one or wherever...

I tend not to do many at all, probably because most of our band's songs are built from a number of busy bass riffs so there's only so much our poor audience should be burdened with. However, the 3  I do are a 16 bar intro, with melodic bass playing the actual song melody in reverse with guitar feedback and cymbals slowly joining in, a 4 bar with lots of notes slappy groove that's a pre-amble to a crazy chromatic guitar solo in a You've Got Foetus On Your Breath style (!), and a fast chromatic run down the fretboard based on roots and 7ths lasting 2 bars.

• Like 2