Why become a member? ×

Called to play a solo.

TimR

What do you do?

Join in the fun using your wealth of background theory knowledge and years of experience to instantly craft an interesting line that has groove and entertains resulting in whistles and cheering from the adoring crowd.

Or something else?

Solos are for boring old fashioned bands.

Every note I write and subsequently play has been carefully considered and orchestrated ahead of time to to be the best possible note (IMO) to go with what the other musicians are doing at any given moment in the song.

The song is the most important thing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I usually do a bit of boo-wappa-doo followed by some bip-bap-buppa-deee which leads me nicely into some shoo-wabba-doobey-doooop-bappa-doop and then ease back into the song. There's no point in going over the top, with these things, you've got to keep it tasteful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Every note I write and subsequently play has been carefully considered and orchestrated ahead of time to to be the best possible note (IMO) to go with what the other musicians are doing at any given moment in the song.

This is certainly one approach to making music. Thank goodness it’s not the only one.

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Sometimes. 

There are many ways to make music and preparation takes many forms. Playing Jazz means you are NEVER able plan every note in advance, unless you want to look like a clown.

As for playing a solo, I always just make it up as I go along. 

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 2

Never been a big fan of bass solos (or guitar or keyboard solos if I'm honest) if players want to show how brilliant they are, they should craft their work into the context of the music IMO.

Something like Portrait of Tracy is clearly a solo, but it's a piece written for solo bass, and that's fine.

Otherwise, do what Geddy Lee or Ox did and stick some killer lines into a great song.

• Like 5

Depends on the gig. On a jazz gig, I want to play something interesting and melodic over the changes. If it's a more pop type gig, I try to keep the groove and add embellishments. The most important thing is keeping within the style you're playing- you're not going to start playing a slap solo over a jazz ballad, or going well outside the harmony on a funk gig.

19 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

As I have said elsewhere. I don't do solos and people onstage know that. If I am asked to do one I will simply stop playing.

Trying to make someone uncomfortable is not fun.

Agreed. You will ever only put me on the spot once.

Never again....

I will only play a short solo if PREVIOUSLY agreed.

Edited by cetera
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Strawbs664 said:

Just take the Gene Simmons approach and spit blood and/or breath fire over the audience 😁🦇

When I used to do that it was definitely more entertaining than the average bass solo and noone disappeared off to the bar or toilet! 😉🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I stood in for a mate with his band once, a long time ago. The singer very kindly introduced me to the crowd and invited me to do a little solo, which put me on the spot somewhat. Fortunately, prior to the show I had a bet on with the sound engineer that I could get the 'A' Team theme tune into the set somewhere, so I just played that and won myself £20.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hold whatever note you're on. The band quietens to give you your moment. The anticipation from the crowd is palpable.... Pick up a pint and down it in one. Or, if you don't drink alcohol, a coffee. Make sure you can consume the drink within your allocated 8 bars. Jump back in to the groove with the rest of the band on the one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Hold whatever note you're on. The band quietens to give you your moment. The anticipation from the crowd is palpable.... Pick up a pint and down it in one. Or, if you don't drink alcohol, a coffee. Make sure you can consume the drink within your allocated 8 bars. Jump back in to the groove with the rest of the band on the one. 

superb idea, I may try that at my next (last) Policed gig, next weekend

• Like 1

Just now, fretmeister said:

Full blown Billy Sheehan tragic 1980s tapping fest.

No matter what the genre of music. If you ask me, that’s what you get.

As a tragic 80s throwback myself, I will do this without shame or embarrassment.

Your emotional reaction to it is your problem.

I’ve done this before!

I used to get a drill out too, Tubescreemer on full , octave pedal and chorus. Mental

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Dear me! I thought live performance was supposed to be fun? 

I don’t often need to play bass solos, and have nothing prepared, but I’m pretty sure I could improvise my way thru a few bars of something without being too precious if the situation called for it….

This.   For me it's usually a few bars of improvised noodling ending with Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' as the route back into the song

• Like 1