Why become a member? ×

NBD - Spector Forte 4

mattbass6

This happened yesterday ☺️ It was a very lovely drive up to Bass Direct in Leamington Spa to drop off a bass for a commission sale, and to also pick up this masterpiece. I am in awe of this bass. I fell in love with Spector earlier this year, and that admiration for the brand convinced me to go for this beautiful USA, handmade Forte 4 in Nightshade, and now named “Stormbringer”.

The quality and attention to detail, is second to none. The sound, the feel, the resonance, the playability and the comfort is something I have ever experienced, and I’ve owned a lot of basses in my time. I’ve never had a bass with EMG’s before, and there a real revelation. Also, simple things like having a master volume and pickup pan instead of 2 volumes, just makes me happy. I also love that is has no fretboard inlays. A real classy, clean look.

It’s like going from a BMW to a Bentley. Thanks to Ash, and Mark, for all their help as usual. So good to see them both, at last. Cheers all ☺️

AE2D7FF9-4DD3-4038-8274-E9BD954A09C3.jpeg

CDD2681F-C4FE-453A-8F0F-9AD5BF25134E.jpeg

4912F892-9C38-4704-BAD6-5F504DD69435.jpeg

FFFB6474-A386-4A5B-8BAA-20DE7941027D.jpeg

443B7E51-665F-4F90-80CF-07B97267A4BF.jpeg

03C90F3E-8EC9-4A48-8BA5-B9ED0938882A.jpeg

Edited by mattbass6
  • Like 20

45 minutes ago, cetera said:

Absolutely stunning mate!

I too had been eyeing that bass on the BD website, but my finances don't line up at this time....

Enjoy! It's an addiction...... believe me.... lol!

I knew people would be eyeing this up, and if it went, I knew I would always regret not pulling the trigger. I think if I had pondered for another 24 hours, it would have definitely gone. It was a no brainer, and I’m just so flipping happy I did it. I genuinely love it. It plays, feels and looks like nothing I’ve ever owned ☺️

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Ahh, so you are the lucky owner! I saw that one arrive (and then go 😂) from the website pretty quickly. As others have said your pics are better than the  Bass Direct ones.

Empresswood, right? How does it sound?

Glad you like the pics, and yes, it is Empress Wood. Acoustically, it sings, really sings. So alive. Plugged in, it sounds huge. Such a great range of tones, and a very direct, and even response. Combined with some distortion, it has that classic Spector growl that has helped define this bass. I absolutely love it, but I think you may have gathered that already 😂

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

Glad you like the pics, and yes, it is Empress Wood. Acoustically, it sings, really sings. So alive. Plugged in, it sounds huge. Such a great range of tones, and a very direct, and even response. Combined with some distortion, it has that classic Spector growl that has helped define this bass. I absolutely love it, but I think you may have gathered that already 😂

Good to hear, the new RST line uses Empresswood too I think and they look killer. If I were to get a Spector one day I think I’d go for a 4-string Forte in either Nightshade (like you’ve got there) or Ultraviolet. Yum. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Good to hear, the new RST line uses Empresswood too I think and they look killer. If I were to get a Spector one day I think I’d go for a 4-string Forte in either Nightshade (like you’ve got there) or Ultraviolet. Yum. 

The new RST line look and feel amazing, plus I couldn’t believe how light there are. Actually, my Forte is really light too. Let us know if you ever get a Spector. You will love them, I promise ☺️

• Like 1

Beautiful bass and images! Love the colour on this: UV and UA have always been my favourite Spector finishes and Nightshade appears to be a gorgeous variation of the former. I’m really impressed with some of the new directions in which Korg is taking the brand (innovation without corrupting essence and values)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, three said:

Beautiful bass and images! Love the colour on this: UV and UA have always been my favourite Spector finishes and Nightshade appears to be a gorgeous variation of the former. I’m really impressed with some of the new directions in which Korg is taking the brand (innovation without corrupting essence and values)

I agree. I really think Korg have a handle on where to take the brand. Takeovers normally worry me, and did initially when Korg bought Spector, but they real do believe in the product and it shows with the beautiful instruments being produced. The essence and values are indeed, intact ☺️

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

I agree. I really think Korg have a handle on where to take the brand. Takeovers normally worry me, and did initially when Korg bought Spector, but they real do believe in the product and it shows with the beautiful instruments being produced. The essence and values are indeed, intact ☺️

I would certainly agree with that, there is a really cool factory tour video here that definitely shows the hand built, workshop vibe is still there (you might even see the bench where your Forte was made 😬).

If I had one minor gripe it would be that they have released three new models in the last year or so (Dimension/Ethos/RST) which may risk a slight dilution of the brand, but having said that they do look pretty nice (especially the RST). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I would certainly agree with that, there is a really cool factory tour video here that definitely shows the hand built, workshop vibe is still there (you might even see the bench where your Forte was made 😬).

If I had one minor gripe it would be that they have released three new models in the last year or so (Dimension/Ethos/RST) which may risk a slight dilution of the brand, but having said that they do look pretty nice (especially the RST). 

I watched the new factory tour. Very fascinating, and always cool fit a geek like myself. 

As for your last comment about “risk of a slight dilution”, I’m not sure. I think they needed to enter the multi scale race, as well as offering something different to the non Euro range of basses (Ethos etc), plus  introducing an alternative to the LX/LT in the Euro range with the RST.

They are definitely looking to attract a wider audience, which can only be a good thing. I don’t think it will dilute the US reputation at all. Saying that, I do hope they don’t go mad with loads of variations on a theme that Fender seem to do.