Why become a member? ×

Battery bass amp? For performance?

fretmeister

I use a Bose S1 Pro. It's got two inputs, so you can plug a Mic or a guitar into the other socket. It also has a 3rd input (mini-jack) for phone / MP3 player etc. It handles bass really well. I've played Electric Upright through it too, and it sounds great. Like the Roland mentioned above though - the S1 isn't cheap.

I also have a Boss Micro Bass cube, which is powered by mains or battery (AA's) and that's a really nice amp - but nowhere near as loud / powerful as the Bose. Recently did some busking with a singer-guitarist, and we put his guitar through the Boss cube, and it sounded pretty good through that, and being guitar it was louder. Boss also do a "Street Cube" battery bass amp, larger than the Bass Cube, and that should handle bass OK, as it's designed for vocals & guitar, or vocals & keys.

I once owned an Ashton wedge-shaped busking amp - it was OK, but not the best of sound, and a tad heavy. I think it was only 15W.

1 hour ago, Marc S said:

I use a Bose S1 Pro. It's got two inputs, so you can plug a Mic or a guitar into the other socket. It also has a 3rd input (mini-jack) for phone / MP3 player etc. It handles bass really well. I've played Electric Upright through it too, and it sounds great. Like the Roland mentioned above though - the S1 isn't cheap.

I also have a Boss Micro Bass cube, which is powered by mains or battery (AA's) and that's a really nice amp - but nowhere near as loud / powerful as the Bose. Recently did some busking with a singer-guitarist, and we put his guitar through the Boss cube, and it sounded pretty good through that, and being guitar it was louder. Boss also do a "Street Cube" battery bass amp, larger than the Bass Cube, and that should handle bass OK, as it's designed for vocals & guitar, or vocals & keys.

I once owned an Ashton wedge-shaped busking amp - it was OK, but not the best of sound, and a tad heavy. I think it was only 15W.

That Bose looks good - and I see it has a 90 day trial period!

I'm now wondering if I can convince the band (run by an educational trust) to buy one for use by everybody as needed...

Time for Mr Smooooooooooth to do his stuff...

Look-into-my-eyes.jpg?fit=580%252C327%26

4 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Tuba.

Failing that, the Phil Jones Bass Briefcase can be fitted with a battery and will run for about 60 minutes before it keels over.

Alas I don't play the Tuba and at the moment the entire group of 20 ensembles doesn't have a tuba player!

I'd really like a bari sax (I can play alto) but I haven't got that sort of money lying about for the odd outside show.

8 hours ago, nikon F said:

leisure battery and a pure sine wave inverter ?

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I don't even know what that is.

Can you edumacate me please?

The inverter plugs into a car battery (leisure battery is a spare battery to run a caravan) and turns the battery voltage to mains This one is £31

image.thumb.png.9c27881bf751c23ebd57d295fd1254b0.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nikon F said:

leisure battery and a pure sine wave inverter ?

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

This. Then you can use a regular amp. No point in spending good money on a whole rig you'll rarely use.

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I don't even know what that is.

Can you edumacate me please?

Well worth reading the (fairly recent) SOS thread on sine wave inverters and why most of the the cheap ones are crap for the average musician's needs and at best will add loads of noise to your signal and at worst can damage your amp. I'll post the link when I have more time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Well worth reading the (fairly recent) SOS thread on sine wave inverters and why most of the the cheap ones are crap for the average musician's needs and at best will add loads of noise to your signal and at worst can damage your amp. I'll post the link when I have more time.

So borrow an amp then?

;) :D 

Not cheap, but there's the GSS bulletpack head which can take an external laptop battery, which they also sell.

Head and battery are on their website. You can then pick your cabinet, or cabinets, and get 200W output, for 12 hours if their website is to be believed.

The head I've linked to is said to require an external preamp. GSS do make heads with instrument inputs, but their website (or English section thereof) seems to have circular links and I can no longer find it.

2 hours ago, chyc said:

Not cheap, but there's the GSS bulletpack head which can take an external laptop battery, which they also sell.

Head and battery are on their website. You can then pick your cabinet, or cabinets, and get 200W output, for 12 hours if their website is to be believed.

The head I've linked to is said to require an external preamp. GSS do make heads with instrument inputs, but their website (or English section thereof) seems to have circular links and I can no longer find it.

Worth a look - thank you.

I've got a Tech21 preamp that I could use with that sort of a set up.

As an alternative to converting battery power to mains and back down to amplifier supply rail voltage, you could consider a car booster amp.  These are designed to work from a 10-15V supply, contain a dedicated voltage converter, are built to withstand harsh treatment, and have a sensitivity that allows you to connect an active bass to them and get something approaching full power without needing a preamp.

£70-80 will get you 75W into 8 ohms or 150W bridged into 4 ohms. All you have to do is bolt it to a piece of plywood, connect speakers, power and input jack socket, and you are good to go. The amp even has its own fuse so you don't have to provide one.

The amp on the left is Class AB as described above. The amp on the right is Class D, giving 35+35W into 8+8ohms or 90+90W into 4+4Ohms - it's 4 amplifiers wired as two bridged pairs.

David

DSCF2774.JPG

Edited by Mottlefeeder
Added picture and more words
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BigRedX said:

i would think thats because the cheap ones are only a modified wave ,,,,