Why become a member? ×

N.A.D. Aguilar...

bassmayhem

My plan was to get a Bergantino Forté HP or a Quad Cortex as my third amp. I have a Genzler Magellan 350, a Vanderkley Spartan and a Jule Amps Monique preamp with a GSS Sumo power amp already. Ooops! Did that make three...? Well, I was out shopping for a fourth amp - not a third. All of a sudden I got the chance to get a super nice Aguilar DB 359 at a more than reasonable price, so I changed my mind. No DSP amp for me! No programmable stuff! Just plain analog old school stuff.

I was a bit concerned how the Aggie would work with the Genzler Bass Array cabs; my old Super Bassman and the Bassman 100T sounded crap through them. No problems with this baby brute! Wooly, fat, juicy! The DB 359 is a BIG amp. Really big! But - it sits well on top of the Bass Array 12-3 SLT cabs: no risk sliding off the top cab. A tiny bit of T-factor can be seen...
I kind of like it...

20211115_204720.thumb.jpg.62e8394ddd744965e2908746d17e3b79.jpg

• Like 6

Very often a cabinet NEEDS sufficient power to get it moving into the sweet zone. My Acme B2 boxes sound ho hum with a lower power amplifier. With enough power they are wonderful and a low B just leaps out of them. :)

Just to be fair I drive them with Class D amplifiers.

Enjoy your new toys! LOL

Edited by BassmanPaul

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

Very often a cabinet NEEDS sufficient power to get it moving into the sweet zone. My Acme B2 boxes sound ho hum with a lower power amplifier. With enough power they are wonderful and a low B just leaps out of them. :)

Just to be fair I drive them with Class D amplifiers.

Enjoy your new toys! LOL

I will. ;)
The Aggie is just 200 W RMS, so it is my smallest amp coming to wattage. Still, it pushes the cabinets to move some serious air. I will try it with the band at the rehearsal tomorrow. 

• 5 months later...

Well, I sold this gem too...
My back hated it. But it was a d*mn good amp! 

I realize that big bulky heavy rigs belong to the past. At least for me. My last gig I used two rigs, my Monique/Spartan into  Genzler 210 and 115 cabs for electric, and my Genzler 350 with two 110 cabs for my upright. I wasn't allowed to turn the amps up so I could hear myself through my own speakers. My bass was in all monitors on stage. After that gig I decided I'll never ever bring my rigs to that stage anymore. Only pedals and Monique. I have ordered a Quad Cortex too, so maybe I only use that one for electric and upright. Btw, I have sold the big Genzler cabs too, but kept my 112's...

20220318_144902

• Like 1