Why become a member? ×

Which clear coat?

NancyJohnson

I bought a project bass a couple of weeks ago - it's had two lots of oil stain (Fiebings) - picture below is of the first pass, did a light sand today and applied the second application earlier - it's a lot more consistent now over the body; I'm happy with it and don't feel the need o go with a third application.  Despite the allusion that the body is lumpy along the grain, it is very flat.

Need some advice on sealing it all in; I'm undecided at this juncture whether to go with a matte or gloss finish...I kind of like the matte finish on my Lulls, but that's a solid paint (it felt velvety when I got them new).  I just need a little advise on clear/glaze coatings.  What are you guys using?

20211115_164524.thumb.jpg.2643d51d1b830918fc3f1d85661709de.jpg

• Like 1

My finish guy used this on my bass body.

he said it was very easy to use.  Based on your avatar…LOL…

https://www.amazon.com/eco-Friendly-Non-Yellowing-Woodworking-Cabinetry-Furniture/dp/B07NC175G2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=24WO0G46EB0H6&keywords=i%2Bcant%2Bbelieve%2Bits%2Bnot%2Blacquer&qid=1637064391&sprefix=I%2Bcan’t%2Bbelieve%2Bit’s%2Bnot%2B%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-1&th=1

There are many pics in my build thread…

9D8DF40B-7803-4399-AF7D-139612FFD09D.jpeg

Edited by stereoplayer
  • Thanks 1

Or you could put a few coats of oil finish on - crimson do one. That way you can kind of choose between mat and gloss depending on how many coats you put on and how much you rub down in between. I like an oil finish as it's not encasing the wood so much, but tastes differ!

On 17/11/2021 at 09:41, NancyJohnson said:

I've decided on Crimson wipe on lacquer.  It's going to be too cold to start spraying.  I'll post photos.

I'm very interested to see how this turns out - I want to try something other than oil on my next build - I'm too clumsy and need something a little more hard wearing

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2021 at 15:37, Chopthebass said:

Crystalac is the best water based lacquer in my opinion. Another oil option is Tru-Oil. It goes rock hard like lacquer, but is super easy to apply. Many videos out there.

The range at Crimson includes oil based fiinishings that are superior to Tru Oil. They also have a number of other options and are made in the UK.  Of course that does not help if you are based in Canada.

5 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

The range at Crimson includes oil based fiinishings that are superior to Tru Oil. They also have a number of other options and are made in the UK.  Of course that does not help if you are based in Canada.

I’m not the one seeking help! But thanks for the info. If I was still in the uk I’d be using Morells products.