Why become a member? ×

Bass instrument cable straight into amp

Thunderbird

On 15/11/2021 at 22:38, Reggaebass said:

It doesn’t, I’ve never used any myself 

I tried a compressor pedal at home once when I was learning to slap but that was a tone sucker so it had to go.
As for reggae again i just plug direct into my amp. Though  I have noticed a number of the reggae bass players i've seen on gigs using the octaver/sub button on their bass amps, It does give a heavy bottom end but is also muddy and lacks clarity. But I wouldn't use one for reggae, but maybe if I was doing anything by parliament funkadelic it would give something like that a try. For reggae good bass rig tone controls and barefaced cabs work well for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

i've seen on gigs using the octaver/sub button on their bass amps, It does give a heavy bottom end but is also muddy and lacks clarity

Yeah I’ve seen that too and I thought it sounded terrible, it seemed to distort the bass, it’s not for me 🙂

• Like 1

Depends on the band. Glam Rock band i use my Roland GT6B but have one clean sound, one set up as a Ric bass into an overdriven valve amp and 2x15 cab and 3rd channel set as Envelope filter for one song.

Punk band is straight from bass to Mesa rig. I much prefer direct to amp. Less fuss, less gear to carry and set up.

Dave

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 12:27, Reggaebass said:

Yeah I’ve seen that too and I thought it sounded terrible, it seemed to distort the bass, it’s not for me 🙂

I've yet to hear an octave pedal used on bass that I didn't think sounded bloody awful. I have a load of Eventide pedals that I use on keyboards & guitar & even the octaver on the Pitchfactor sounds bloody awful to me.

Same with the ones built into amps. I loved my old Ashdown ABM combo but the sub octave thing was utter shite to my ears.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RhysP said:

I've yet to hear an octave pedal used on bass that I didn't think sounded bloody awful. I have a load of Eventide pedals that I use on keyboards & guitar & even the octaver on the Pitchfactor sounds bloody awful to me.

Same with the ones built into amps. I loved my old Ashdown ABM combo but the sub octave thing was utter shite to my ears.

Yep have to admit i'm with you on this. Had the Boss octaver pedal, Ashdown amp and my Roland 6T6B mfx unit isnt too impressive either. Personally i'd just hire in a keys player and do the job right.

Oddly enough i've heard a few solo bassists use them and they sounded ok as part of their solo but never in a band situ. 

Once saw a guy use a Fishman pedal that was quite impressive (cant remember the model) but again he was doing solo bass to show it.

Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RhysP said:

9 hours ago, RhysP said:

People have the wrong idea about octaves pedals. It's not for the octave below what you can get from the instrument!!!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

People have the wrong idea about octaves pedals. It's not for the octave below what you can get from the instrument!!!!

Not quite following what you mean. Any chance you could elaborate. I am curious to find out more.

Dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, skidder652003 said:
On 16/11/2021 at 20:32, PaulThePlug said:

Would it not change the impedance between bass and amp, and maybe help drive a long cable... bit like an active buffer?

isn't the Boss TU3 also an active buffer? I heard somewhere all boss pedals are buffers?

Yes, but you still need a cable from the bass to the pedal.

Clearly, only active basses are going to work in a real-world situation.

Its the tone i'm not keen on. It sounds more like someone using Moog playing bass notes.

It doesn't sound like a proper bass IMO of course.

I dont think i'd ever use it in a band situation. Good fun at home altho i've tried it at home and the novelty soon wore off.  

I managed to get the technique pretty much sorted when using them and had no trouble getting them to track properly. It was really just the tone i wasn't keen on. If it sounded like a bass guitar but playing an octave lower i might have liked that more. The Fisman pedal does that altho i think it only goes a 4th lower with either a 5th or full octave higher but it still sounds like a bass guitar.

My current bands i just wouldn't have any use for it.

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its the tone i'm not keen on. It sounds more like someone using Moog playing bass notes.

This is the basic issue I have with them too. Never had problems getting them to track, I just think they sound terrible. 

They sound bloody awful on all the classic tracks that get wheeled out to show how great they are IMO. Sledgehammer, that Paul Young/Pino thing - I think they all sound terrible. 

I have five Moogs & believe me they all sound a million times better than a bass through an octaver.  🙂