Why become a member? ×

Bass instrument cable straight into amp

Thunderbird

Have to say my comment about tuner muting the bass and providing silence was a tongue in cheek comment with @RhysP . It wasn't meant to be take so seriously. 

Using my tuner and muting had a definite change in my sound. ....... from noise to silence ......... just a bit o'fun. 😂

On the plus side its now less than 5 weeks till :santa2:

Dave

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

Which compressor pedal do you use?

At the moment i'm using my back up amp and finding the volume changing when moving the P bass tone so i started using my Aphex Punch Factory as a limiter to level things off. Its quite an old compressor now and no longer made but it works pretty well and had great reviews when it first came out hence my reason for buying plus it has a DI out just in case an amp packs in at gig and you have no back up amp.

I quite fancy the EBS Compressor. Cant go wrong with EBS.

Dave

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Have to say my comment about tuner muting the bass and providing silence was a tongue in cheek comment with @RhysP . It wasn't meant to be take so seriously. 

Using my tuner and muting had a definite change in my sound. ....... from noise to silence ......... just a bit o'fun. 😂

On the plus side its now less than 5 weeks till :santa2:

Dave

Just goes to prove that even a silly joke can cause disagreement on Basschat... 🙄

Edited by RhysP
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

How on earth did we survive in the days before tuners? I used to take an A 440 tuning fork to gigs

Ha, I used to shout at the keys player to give me the note nearest his ciggie hand, still do...Tuners? Never used one for bass or acoustic for that matter.....and if there isnt a keys player then just get the other geetar player to twang a string. Simples.

My grandparents survived just fine without central heating, and for a while without drinking water on tap (a small village, drinking water was collected from a public fountain). But they embraced the modern ways when they arrived.

Similarly, I can do without a tuner, there's always alternatives... but why would I? :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mcnach said:

My grandparents survived just fine without central heating, . . .

So did mine. As a kid I hated going to their loo in the winter. You could end up iced to the seat if you took too long!!

Edited by chris_b
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mcnach said:

My grandparents survived just fine without central heating, and for a while without drinking water on tap (a small village, drinking water was collected from a public fountain). But they embraced the modern ways when they arrived.

Similarly, I can do without a tuner, there's always alternatives... but why would I? :D

I remember a few cottages in our village in the 60’s were without drinking water too, the residents had to go to a tap in the road near their dwellings. My bedroom window used to regularly ice up too, before we had efficient central heating. ( Just realised this is getting a bit Monty Python now - paper bag at t’bottom of the garden etc!).

I sometimes worry that using electronic tuners may mean I lose the ability to tune up accurately by ear, so test myself every now and then. Can still do it within a cent or so, but electronic tuners just make life so much easier. Without a reference point ( or perfect pitch ) they ensure everyone is in tune with each other, so why wouldn’t you? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, casapete said:

so test myself every now and then. Can still do it within a cent or so

I do that every time I pick up my bass, I tune by ear and then check against the tuner, I’m always just a touch under, fortunately all my basses hold their tuning good 

6 hours ago, Rich said:

What's tuning?

Why would you need to tune? Just buy a bass that is in tune in the first place!

1 hour ago, DaytonaRik said:

My grandparents still had an outside loo up until the mid 70's!!!!

At the risk of falling into a 4 yorkshireman sketch, my dads parents always had an outside loo until my gran died in 1987, and my grandad got a flat (with an inside loo). Not only that, they had a tin bath that they used in the kitchen (which was tiny, both the bath and the kitchen). As a kid, I was not a great fan of going there!

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

So did mine. As a kid I hated going to their loo in the winter. You could end up iced to the seat if you took too long!!

Oh, yes! And then there was the toilet paper they used... I'm pretty sure if you folded it a couple of times it could stop bullets.

If we went to visit for a weekend I'd often hold it in until we were back home :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Why would you need to tune? Just buy a bass that is in tune in the first place!

At the risk of falling into a 4 yorkshireman sketch, my dads parents always had an outside loo until my gran died in 1987, and my grandad got a flat (with an inside loo). Not only that, they had a tin bath that they used in the kitchen (which was tiny, both the bath and the kitchen). As a kid, I was not a great fan of going there!

Aye you were lucky :laugh1:

8 hours ago, RhysP said:

I was in my 40's before I lived somewhere that had central heating.

When I came to jolly old England in the early 80s, the girl I came to see lived in Coundon Bishop Auckland up north. Their family home was built in 1724 and had 3 ft thick stone walls. Coal/peat fireplaces in every room.

• Like 2