Why become a member? ×

Bass instrument cable straight into amp

Thunderbird

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Effects are effects. Use them sparingly to make the most impact, just like in a movie.

That's good advice for effect-y stuff. 

The flip-side of that is "always on" pedals if it forms parts of your core tone  - like boost pedal to drive you amp, distortion pedal, thumpinator, Compressor and the like. 

36 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Nobody use a tuner between their bass and amp? 

Aye - a Korg DTR-1 which is pretty transparent after the wireless RX and before the Ashdown ABM head but I like many probably excluded mentioning my tuner as I suspect it has little or no sonic impact. 

Until recently this year, I've always only ever plugged in direct. 

In the last 5 years I've been using a Korg Pitch-black as a tuner as its easier than pressing a mute button on the amp.

Earlier this year I bought a Keely Bassist compressor which is now always on as it has more control than the single knob amp on-board compressor. 

I have a chorus pedal at home in a box but have never taken it out of the house. 

Edited by TimR

Not at all, the line out still works if the amp output is muted.

Edit -> Over the years, I've gotten into the habit of having as little as possible which can kill your signal at the front of the stage due to stage divers, spilled beer and anything else which can dislodge or damage a cable.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Nobody use a tuner between their bass and amp? 

I use a clip on tuner ( gasps from some folk on here...🤣). I don’t use any pedals at all, preferring to keep stuff simple and let the amp take care of tonal adjustments if needed. If I can’t get the amp/ cab to sound right without pedals then the rig isn’t for me. Understand some may need certain effects of course, especially in a covers band where it’s necessary, but all my gigs fortunately just require bass straight into amp sounds.

(I did actually use a pedal on one dep gig earlier this year, borrowed an octave pedal off a mate as we did Peter Gabriel’s ‘Sledgehammer’. ) 

Mostly I’ve never used pedals but I’ve recently added a TU3 tuner that comes after my G30 Relay wireless RX

after that the TC Spark Booster

I play passive basses and having the TC SB it’s like having an extra preamp so I can get some EQ tweaks and light drive to flavour things a bit 

I can’t see me adding anything else as I deliberately purchased the Boss BCB30X board so I can only have 3 items which I now have .. simple but works well 

It’s very, very seldom that I use effects. I don’t even use the amp’s onboard compression, typically. 
If a specific song calls for an effect I’m happy to use it but I’m plugged straight into the amp about 99% of the time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It only counts if you're being pedantic.  It /shouldn't/ be influencing your tone beyond the imperceptible so I don't think it matters if it's between you and the amp.

Good point 

Was also thinking I have compression and drive and sub harmonic jobby on my ashdown amp but never really used them I played with the compression for a while but to my ears all it did was make everything louder which I guess is kind of right without going down the compressor rabbit hole which I don't understand anyway lol

Edited by Thunderbird

For 10-15 years I went from a passive bass straight into amp, and used the amp EQ, but so many times the sound engineers took the DI before the amp, I didn't like not having that control. These days I always prefer to use a preamp of some kind, either in a DI box with an EQ or now using a Headrush Gigboard. Ar least I know what I'm sending to the desk is what I'm used to hearing at home/rehearsals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

It only counts if you're being pedantic.  It /shouldn't/ be influencing your tone beyond the imperceptible so I don't think it matters if it's between you and the amp.

Would it not change the impedance between bass and amp, and maybe help drive a long cable... bit like an active buffer?

Edited by PaulThePlug