Why become a member? ×

Bass instrument cable straight into amp

Thunderbird

I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't find the thread 

Anyway I've gone full circle and done the whole pedal thing and messed about with various gear but now I have rediscovered the joy of just going from the bass to the amp super simple and makes playing more enjoyable as I'm not messing about trying to find "that sound" with pedals 

So who else has done this and why? 

Edited by Thunderbird
  • Like 3

Funnily, I love all my "toys". Anyone who has seen my (hundreds of video) reviews knows that I cant wait to get my hands on new amps, effects, pedals and whatnot. One of my basses just laps it up and sounds amazing whatever you throw at it. However, I just can't fathom why my ole 76 P bass sounds so incredibly, mind-blowingly amazing plugged straight in to my favourite amp and cabinets. It just doesn't need anything else and the tone is to die for. I ❤️ it!

• Like 3

• Thunderbird changed the title to Bass instrument cable straight into amp

all I’ve ever done really is go from the bass to the amp, there’s not many effects that work for reggae and dub, occasionally I’ll have a little play with the sansamp tech 21, but now I’m all valve into a barefaced BB I don’t need anything else 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

It’s all I’ve ever done really, there’s not many effects that work for reggae and dub, occasionally I’ll have a little play with the sansamp tech 21, but now I’m all valve into a barefaced BB I don’t need anything else 

I always thought that reggae didn't really use effects I'm no fan of reggae but the bass always seems to sound great on what I have heard 

• Like 1

It's all I do too. Straight into the amp and I usually bypass the EQ, too. Me and the bass will make it interesting without the fluff. I once played with a band who exclaimed surprise, the first time I jammed with them, that I didn't have a load of pedals with me. I never knew they had become such a thing in bass world.

• Like 1

Apart from one song using my TC Spark Booster this eve it was bass/lead/amp and sounded great. I usually use my Ashdown RM500 at rehearsals but for this evening’s audition I brought out the ABM600 and my Fender Precision into that was joyful.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't find the thread 

Anyway I've gone full circle and done the whole pedal thing and messed about with various gear but now I have rediscovered the joy of just going from the bass to the amp super simple and makes playing more enjoyable as I'm not messing about trying to find "that sound" with pedals 

So who else has done this and why? 

I did it because there was barely enough space on stage for my size 9s and definitely not a pedal board (Boss GT10B at the time which has some size to it). I liked the simplicity, I didn't like tuning via my mobile phone app though. But I kept it going with that band, all the effects I used were EQ based anyway so nobody really noticed except me.

I would lose something with the band I've just joined though if I didn't have my effects available. I could probably get away with it as I use an Ashdown head unit and I could use it's built in drive and sub features but it wouldn't be the same.

• Like 2

Amp?

You’re lucky….

My main gig is without backline, IEM only, I use my multi-effects board but that’s providing the feed to the D.I.

I’m not using much in the way of effects but I do have a small amount of Compression & a Pre-amp sim.

I couldn’t do without the tuner function & volume pedal.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bassman68 said:

Amp?

You’re lucky….

My main gig is without backline, IEM only, I use my multi-effects board but that’s providing the feed to the D.I.

I’m not using much in the way of effects but I do have a small amount of Compression & a Pre-amp sim.

I couldn’t do without the tuner function & volume pedal.

As an IEM user I'm giving serious consideration to something similar, but with something like the Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig or maybe the SH1 pedal as I have little requirement for effects.