Why become a member? ×

Doug Johns - why haven't I heard of him before now?!

Mokl

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Saw some vids from 2019 and he still had a good head of heair and ponytail and still with his Pedulla so i'm guessing you were jesting us. 😂

Dave

No.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=883528155620074

And on his Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CULlb9DsuWl/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

And the big thread on the other place

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/doug-johns-endorsing-sandberg.1527260/

• Thanks 1

On 15/11/2021 at 19:59, Mokl said:

Stumbled across this dude on Youtube. Cool chops, lovely feel and just love the tone. Is he well known and I've just missed him?!! 

I agree Dave, I preferred the tone he was getting from the Pedulla. Is it my imagination or does the section starting at 0:45 sound like Geddy playing his Wal?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rich said:

I agree Dave, I preferred the tone he was getting from the Pedulla. Is it my imagination or does the section starting at 0:45 sound like Geddy playing his Wal?

I never picked up on the Geddy thing till you mentioned it. Does sound quite like him. 😂

Dave

13 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Ahhh, I'd actually clocked that on the 'other site' , and liked the playing in the vid there but hadn't realised it was the same bloke! 

• Like 1

When i use my index finger as a pick i have a tendency to sound a bit like that. Possible i picked that up from watching Doug play good few yrs back.

Amazing player and always entertaining to watch.

I dont get that effect when i try using a pick just with my index finger as a pick. ???

Dave

12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Def think the Pedulla has a superior sound and suits his style better. Sharper and clearer. The Sandberg sounds a bit muddier altho its a nice sounding bass and i'm a fan of Sandbergs.

Dave

There's something very special and distinctive about the Pedulla sound, I have to agree with you Dave. For a solo bass sound IMO it's pretty hard to beat for its clarity and musicality from the clips I've heard. I say that as a by-stander who's never had the privilege of owning a Ped. 

Speaking of which, I guess there's a very good reason why our very own @ped decided on his avatar name rather than being "Fen" or "Sandy" 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Oddly enough i've never heard a Pedulla used in a band situation but that P/J pick up config they must be pretty decent.

I did consider buying one few yrs back when i first saw Doug using his but probably just my wishful thinking that i would be able to play like him. 😂

Dave

On 16/11/2021 at 12:24, dmccombe7 said:

Saw some vids from 2019 and he still had a good head of heair and ponytail and still with his Pedulla so i'm guessing you were jesting us. 😂

Dave

I think everybody’s confused ,he shaved his head and he’s playing a Sandberg but he still has all his pedullas, he’s just trying something different...he also plays foderas 

• Like 1