Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger Legacy.....opinions please folks

ebenezer

Loved my 800. Very thick punchy sound. Obviously full of the GK tone, but thats why we buy it. It had the heft my MB800 didn't, although the two had more in common than different to my ears.

I found for a guitar/bass/drum line up it really helped fill out the mix, without jumping out of it. Thick and solid, and quite a nice clean tone when needed.  Never sounding thin or weak. Mostly used it flat as that was the sound i liked, but the low end was thunderous if needed.

I did end up sending it back (actually had 3 because the build quality was poor on the first two), but only because, as above, my MB800 was close enough and £800 was too much to spend when i had 3 other heads that i liked. 

Pretty sure we have threads about these already so maybe look in those. 

12 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

Wow, don't like the sound of the dodgy build quality... may look elsewhere!

One had lines in the finish on the front, not sure how they got there, and the second was scratched before i took it out of the box. Both had issues with the footswitch. Im sure i wrote about it in one of the older Legacy threads. The 3rd was fine.

i think these were early examples. Im sure you wouldn't get any of this now (although a few years before that  i also sent a MB F800 back as the case was also damaged when i got it)

On 15/11/2021 at 16:23, ebenezer said:

Thinking about said amp and just wondered what users think of it compared to other brands?.....maybe going the whole hog and getting the 1200 watt version for maximum headroom,

I nearly bought one, but opted for an MB Fusion 800 as GAK has a couple of B stock items.

The Legacy looks a little cheap IMHO and I didn't like the overdrive.  You can get plenty of drive out of thr MB800 Fusion with the added flexibility of the second channel.