Why become a member? ×

Long or short scale body for a medium scale neck?

BELA

OK, OK, let me explain. 

I got a medium scale neck that I want to use. 

I am left handed and cannot find a finished medium scale body for it. 

Would you buy a long scale body and move the bridge closer, a short scale body and move the bridge away or it does not matter which one. Thank you 

I would imagine in terms of the mathematics of setting the right scale length it wouldn't matter one jot.  As long as there is room to move the bridge if your choice was a short scale.

There is a theoretical issue of neck dive if you put a medium scale neck onto a short scale body but it wouldn't necessarily happen.  For example I have a medium scale neck from a Hondo II H1015 (great neck!) grafted into the very small a lightweight double cutaway Encore bass to make the rather gorgeous bass below  It does dive but only a fraction to just above horizontal and I'd say the Hondo neck is particuarly heavy and the Encore body particualrly light.  Although for complete disclosure the neck pocket in this case was routed out a bit more so that the neck was set slightly further back and the bridge set quite a way back.  

So beyond that, it would just come down to aesthetics - what appeals to you and what doesn't.

honcore.jpg

Edited by Paul S
sepllin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming that there are no pickup routs then, as @Paul S says, go for what appeals to you aesthetically and physically. If there are existing routs, however, a SS body will effectively move the pickups towards the neck leading a slightly more ‘plummier’, whereas a LS body will add a slightly more mid range focus to the sound.*

*I’m imagining these scenarios without getting out of my chair and looking at a bass and I think I have it the right way round, either way, if the routs are already there, there will be a tonal aspect to consider too.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Assuming that there are no pickup routs then, as @Paul S says, go for what appeals to you aesthetically and physically. If there are existing routs, however, a SS body will effectively move the pickups towards the neck leading a slightly more ‘plummier’, whereas a LS body will add a slightly more mid range focus to the sound.*

*I’m imagining these scenarios without getting out of my chair and looking at a bass and I think I have it the right way round, either way, if the routs are already there, there will be a tonal aspect to consider too.

True, hadn't thought to mention it but - yes - that has made a difference to the bass above.  The neck was moved back in the body a bit more so effectively closer to the pickup.  The pickup itself is one of those hot Entwistle PBXN so it gives an interesting nuance to the usual P bass sound.

• Thanks 1

You've not really said the actual scale length of the neck, but let's for the sake of argument assume it's 32" (short scale up to 30", medium 32", long 34"+); if you went with a standard body (again for the sake of argument, a P or J body) and went with the same neck pocket, you would need to bring the bridge forward towards the pickups or it won't intonate properly.  Obviously you'd need to measure.

You'd run into issue with the pickup(s) not being in the sweet spot(s) as well.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Thanks 1