Why become a member? ×

Is it just me...

Doctor J

or have asking prices gone absolutely f**cking mental? I've been doing a bit of browsing recently on Reverb and Ebay, as well as some local sites over here in Ireland, and everything is at least 50% over where it should be, I would say. I'm all for profit and such, free economy and all that, but some of these asking prices just beggar belief. Old Squiers ad Mexican Fenders hovering around the 1k mark. I feel like I have been in a coma and missed something important.

There’s a big difference between the price that’s asked for and the actual selling price (if it sells at all)..

There is decent stuff out there at decent prices, you do have to look about a bit though. Some people seem to be still stuck in lockdown mode when pricing did go rather bizarre.. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

here’s a big difference between the price that’s asked for and the actual selling price (if it sells at all)..

This /\/\/\

I always think of Reverb as one of those used car lots seen in American movies , windshield prices are not set in stone only an invitation to trade.

There are a lot of dealers that stick to their high asking prices though. For example there is an amp dealer that has nice stuff but priced way too high. Made him an market-fair offer on 2 items that have been on there for 2 years... Declined. Good luck then :)

In general, I wouldn't advice to use reverb as a reference for the actual market value. 

Saw a "relic'd" Squier 50's CV precision for sale recently for £1150.  It was rather overdone, as they say.

Now, the new one is a superb instrument and worth every penny of the £330 or so asking price, but flushing it down the loo and storing it for a year in a chicken coop did nothing in my mind to justify almost quadrupling that price.

Edited by Bassfinger
Because i is a rebel
  • Like 1

I get that asking price and selling price are different things, but there has been a fairly steep increase in asking prices over the last year, maybe two. Even if the stuff doesn't sell, it does filter out to other sites and people checking the percieved going rate before posting ads of their own.