Why become a member? ×

SOLD '73 Fender Mustang Bass Competition Blue
£2500
Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Cobretti

http://imgur.com/a/IbY2Fku

1973 Fender Mustang Bass Competition Blue with OHSC. Stunning competition blue and features the distinctive "racing stripes" on the front. All original including hardware and electronics - pickups, volume and tone pots...I have included a pic of the pots which are dated 1973. Tuners, pickguard, bridge, all original. The next stamp has been checked and matches up. The serial number is pictured on the neck plate which you can search on various Fender databases. This bass had one previous owner prior to me who purchased it new in the 70's. 

I employed a top luthier to carry out some work when I acquired it, as it had been out of action for a long time and it needed some love. It has been refretted to a high standard. Some deep dings on the back and side of the body acquired whilst serving rock n' roll duties back in the day were filled in and sprayed (paint matches exactly). The foam mutes on the bridge were starting to crumble, so these were replaced. It is now sympathetically restored to it's former glory.

In the interest of transparency you will note a slight chip to the original pickguard and some ageing to the bridge (pictured). The dark line on the rear of the headstock is the grain of the wood, not damage (fear not). The hard case is suitabally aged with some rust, one broken hing and one missing latch - could probably be cleaned up and retored if you had the time and inclination. If you were gigging, you would want to take out a new case and keep the OHSC at home for investment purposes!

Strung with steel wounds and ready to rock. The action is set quite high according to my taste, but you may want to adjust. I see competition Mustangs going for very silly money in far worse condition...and this is clean! Price is fixed and a bit lower than I have listed elsewhere for my Basschat pals.  UK shipping possible at buyer's expense. 

Cheers for reading :)

20211114_150418.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for tagging me, guys. I’m afraid it is just a bit too pricey for me, especially so considering the import duties and taxes and all (thanks Brexs*it!). The bass is lovely though! 

Edited by Owno
  • Like 1

Lovely, wish I hadn't sold my competition blue, early 70s Mustang last year.

i assume its sale only. However, if a px against an AVRI 62J in LPB or a 71P with A (jazz width nut) neck is of interest, please PM.

Edited by Clarky

58 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Lovely, wish I hadn't sold my competition blue, early 70s Mustang last year.

i assume its sale only. However, if a px against an AVRI 62J in LPB or a 71P with A (jazz width nut) neck is of interest, please PM.

Hi Clarky,

Thanks for your post. Both of your basses look sublime! But at the moment I am looking for a sale. I see you are in London so not far from me at all, and I travel in occasionally :).

Cheers,

Nick

• Rich changed the title to SOLD '73 Fender Mustang Bass Competition Blue
  • martthebass locked this topic