Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Custom Shop 62 Stack Knob Jazz

Bridgehouse

On 16/11/2021 at 16:50, Bridgehouse said:

I said I'd come back and give an opinion on the Lindy Fralin's after giving them a work out. 

Well, last night I spent a good few hours playing. Firstly, it's worth saying that the split coils are definitely hum free. Absolutely no difference in noise levels between the neck and bridge up full together and either pickup solo'd. I'd also say that generally they are quieter than the CS pickups. 

They fit perfectly into the original CS covers - so the look is retained, other than the pole pieces being shinier. 

They do sound a bit different to the CS pickups. They are a shade darker in tone, and a bit deeper generally, and particularly on the neck pickup. They don't have quite the same growl as the CSs and it's not as "authentic" a classic vintage tone (whatever that means). 

Now, that might sound a bit negative, but it isn't. If anything for me it's a positive. The neck sounds closer to a P bass than with the CS single coil - and there's sort of no surprise there either. The contrast between neck and bridge is good - and with both pickups on there's plenty of the characteristic mid scoop. 

All in all I really like them. I wanted hum cancelling, which they do absolutely perfectly. I also didn't want too much of a compromise in traditional Jazz tone to achieve this, and I don't think the Fralin's are too much of a compromise. There's some, but not enough to make me go back to the CS pickups. 

I tried the LF split coils in a '62 RI but preferred the original single coils

17 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

What didn’t you like about them mr B, I like my jazzes with the stack knobs, they do take a while to get used to and to find the sweet spots ,for me I found that backing them off just a touch gave a better sound, and they look so cool 

Well, lack of master volume was a big thing, and a propensity to move tone and volume at the same time another. 

I’ve also been spoilt by John East’s preamps. They really do a great job and the passive modes are useful as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Well, lack of master volume was a big thing, and a propensity to move tone and volume at the same time another. 

I’ve also been spoilt by John East’s preamps. They really do a great job and the passive modes are useful as well.

Are you having any issues with some notes clipping with that pairing? 

I had the Fralin split coils and a J-Tone, but loud notes clipped, John was at a loss too about it. Both were fine in other set ups. 

Great bits of gear though, love them both. 

19 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

I had the Fralin split coils and a J-Tone, but loud notes clipped, John was at a loss too about it. Both were fine in other set ups. 

Dunno - just about to try them out in a studio so I’ll let you know!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

ok, tried the Jazz under stress test tonight. Some mahoosive Markbass amp with a 4x10 and 1x15 cabs - I reckon the full 800w type job.

Gave it the beans - proper gut churning uncomfortable volume level and no clipping or anything. Behaved perfectly. If anything the Fralins got clearer with volume. The bass and treble controls on the J-Tone were excellent at volume too - more low than you’d ever need and the treble wasn’t tinny. 

4 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

ok, tried the Jazz under stress test tonight. Some mahoosive Markbass amp with a 4x10 and 1x15 cabs - I reckon the full 800w type job.

Gave it the beans - proper gut churning uncomfortable volume level and no clipping or anything. Behaved perfectly. If anything the Fralins got clearer with volume. The bass and treble controls on the J-Tone were excellent at volume too - more low than you’d ever need and the treble wasn’t tinny. 

Good to hear, really bizarre then what I experienced….

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I like how it's slowly turning into a Sandberg. 😁

Hah! No more mods now. It’s had an outing at a raucous jam and it was perfect. 

Neck and fretboard is the most surprisingly good bit though, I have to say - one of the nicest bass necks I’ve played. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Neck and fretboard is the most surprisingly good bit though, I have to say - one of the nicest bass necks I’ve played. 

I would agree with that. I've ordered a set of Lollars for mine - I find the CS pups a bit unresponsive, especially when playing ghost notes. I'm very happy with the Lollars on my P, so I'll see what happens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buff said:

Ah ok, I'm looking at getting  the J or the  retro and I'm undecided at the moment which one.

J-Tone gives you either volume/volume or volume/blend as a single stack, bass and treble as a stack and then a tone which works in active and passive. IMHO this is a more flexible arrangement if you think you’ll be using it in passive as much as active