Why become a member? ×

‘Kind’ Roundwounds

Guest MoJo

I love my Rotosound Roundwounds but the hypersensitivity of the fingertips on my fretting hand, due to carpal tunnel syndrome, makes slides feel like I’m running my fingers over 80 grit sandpaper. Looking for recommendations for smoother feeling Roundwounds 

I did loads of research years ago as I'd been playing Chromes for a long time  and wanted the softest, smoothest string but in round wound form.

D'Addario EXL nickel plated were the ones and are still the ones I use for that very reason.

I normally buy the EXL165TP twin pack from Amazon for around  £30. I normally get between  7-9 wedding length gigs from them

The pro steels are also really smooth for a stainless steel string

Edited by Delberthot

On 14/11/2021 at 11:38, MoJo said:

I love my Rotosound Roundwounds but the hypersensitivity of the fingertips on my fretting hand, due to carpal tunnel syndrome, makes slides feel like I’m running my fingers over 80 grit sandpaper. Looking for recommendations for smoother feeling Roundwounds 

If you want Roto steels that last longer and are smoother then DR Lo Rider Steels are the answer. 

Some really good suggestions above - I’m quite a fan of DR Pure Blues and D’addario EXLs. However, the silkiest rounds (by far) I’ve found are Thomastik Jazz Rounds (JR344 and 324).  Extremely compliant too (light round core). The tone is very soft - somewhere between nickel rounds and flats in my view. A bit of an acquired taste. Very expensive but beautifully made - one can see where the money went on these.

Edited by three

12 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Try any nickel strings, they are way smoother than stainless steel ones. The Fodera strings are also excellent. The Alembic strings are really super smooth, but super expensive.

+1 to this. When I first took up bass my local bass experts pointed me towards strainless rounds.  Knowing no better I bought into their profit margin and almost gave up bass before I started. YMMVO but I myself me couldn't bear the feel or sound.  Fortunately I discovered nickels and my career took off. My current string of choice, the flatwound is a different beast altogether.