Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

1 hour ago, alexa3020 said:

I’ve heard good things about the TC spectracomp which looks similar size to the Aguilar and available for around £40-50 used.

I currently have a TC vintage compressor (a copy of T. rex comp nova) but have not been using it because it’s a big pedal and I dont have much space on my board. A small easy to use compressor is definitely appealing to me. 
But with me not really being an expert on compression, I don’t know how much difference a decent one would make to my tone & therefore couldn’t justify spending huge amounts 

I have one - It's more for leveling out the overall sound scope that you require. "Heavier" level of compression Ratio will make it sound either naff or really good.... 

The spectracomp can be modded on the software from less aggressive to really aggressive & different Freq triggers etc.  - I use it to level out my sound so it matches my low end for volume. As a very rough explanation 

Probs not for this thread but if you can get one for cheap they are handy ( I payed around £30 quid donks ago ) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

From my limited experience, and even more limited knowledge of compression I didn’t really find much difference to the tone, maybe it removed excess “flub” but it did make me play better as the notes were more precise. 

I just find that running a bit of compression before the amp stops those low E peaks into the red 

The finished result is you actually get a louder volume from the head without so much pushed input. 
All the notes have a more uniform level and it seems to benefit the ABM600 head in relation to the VU input signal not being hard over in the red too often !

Edited by BassAdder27

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

So today saw my remaining Ashdown cab depart and I’m now sporting just the Ampeg cab SVT212AV which is an amazing single cab. 

The Ashdown cabs were very nice but for me and my band the SVT212AV does it better and louder ! 

Bit heavier than the ashdowns though?

9 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Yes twice the weight !! 
More awkward getting through door ways and carrying too far but …

The sound and clarity and punch is amazing with the ABM600 head 

At least its a single trip from the car with 1 cab

I have an Ampeg 410 which is a great cab but heavy as hell (40-50kg I would guess) & just not practical.

So I stick with My ABM evo ii 115 compacts - which are heavy, but not too heavy. I think I prefer 15's as a rule.

5 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Yes twice the weight !! 
More awkward getting through door ways and carrying too far but …

The sound and clarity and punch is amazing with the ABM600 head 

Looks like a lovely cab. Bit heavy for me - just in the process of selling my K410 which is a similar weight c.30kg. I tried it back to back with my new (to me) Epifani UL310 and a love the punchy, clarity of sounds from that. ABM600 is en-route to Dave Green as we speak so look forward to getting that back and pairing them back up again.

So TNT picked up my amp on Monday delivered it to Dave Green at Ashdown on Tuesday and guess what was waiting for me when I got home this evening. Correct. A lovely, serviced ABM600 with a new valve, working beautifully. I expected to be without if for a couple of weeks. Thank you so much Dave - I am genuinely blown away by this level of response and customer service as it rarely happens like this. I was a fan of the sound when I first tried the amp but I'm now an ambassador for the brand.

I want to buy Ashdown matching cabs to demonstrate that commitment. Just bought a used cab recently. It would be silly to move that on so soon. I could use a reason to buy more gear. What to do.  🤣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chaddy said:

There is a 12 band EQ ABM on fleabay atm.... debating over the handy link above for a new IV ABM :I :D four foot snakes :D 

It's probably mine. It's available on here in the amps for sale section cheaper as well.

Excellent amp, superb condition.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I now have a lovely RM800 Evo2.

What the smeg do I do with the VU meter?

Congrats! Adore it and enjoy the fact you have a nice analogue dial which not only looks pretty, everyone will think you amp is powered by petrol

• Haha 1

On 19/01/2022 at 20:37, CJPJ said:

So TNT picked up my amp on Monday delivered it to Dave Green at Ashdown on Tuesday and guess what was waiting for me when I got home this evening. Correct. A lovely, serviced ABM600 with a new valve, working beautifully. I expected to be without if for a couple of weeks. Thank you so much Dave - I am genuinely blown away by this level of response and customer service as it rarely happens like this. I was a fan of the sound when I first tried the amp but I'm now an ambassador for the brand.

I want to buy Ashdown matching cabs to demonstrate that commitment. Just bought a used cab recently. It would be silly to move that on so soon. I could use a reason to buy more gear. What to do.  🤣

Can I ask how much TNT charged? I need to book my head in for some repairs (and no, I'm not talking about the empty thing on top of my shoulders!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marky L said:

Can I ask how much TNT charged? I need to book my head in for some repairs (and no, I'm not talking about the empty thing on top of my shoulders!)

It was about £14 next day and I paid another £15 to insure it at the same time (https://direct.tnt.co.uk/) . All in, I thought £30 was pretty decent. As an unexpected bonus, Dave repaired mine and shipped it back to me on their own cost which was a pretty spectacular peice of customer service given I'd bough the amp used and honestly wouldn't know if it was in warranty or not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Dave told me they warrant all Ashdown products regardless of age or owner.

I called about a five year old ABM600 and he said no problem and sent me FOC spare parts .. that really is service 

Yep that’s sort of my experience too.

I haven’t required “repairs” more “maintenance” for my Ashdown gear and always excellent communication and advice

Given I bought my Klystrom ABM in 1998 and it’s still used 3-4 times a week that’s pretty good I reckon

• Like 1

On 22/01/2022 at 16:25, CJPJ said:

It was about £14 next day and I paid another £15 to insure it at the same time (https://direct.tnt.co.uk/) . All in, I thought £30 was pretty decent. As an unexpected bonus, Dave repaired mine and shipped it back to me on their own cost which was a pretty spectacular peice of customer service given I'd bough the amp used and honestly wouldn't know if it was in warranty or not.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Just stumbled across this old pic. I used to use this for pub gigs, humping that 810 in and out the back of my Vectra hatchback. I gave that cab away to someone on here, Bartleby I think it was. The awful Behringer unit is long gone, but I still have the ABM, it lives at our rehearsal space for times when I can’t be bothered to take my EBS TD650 to rehearsal. 

FE10F5DA-2B77-4E33-8FE5-0342EC120514.jpeg

• Like 3

On 22/01/2022 at 16:25, CJPJ said:

Head is booked in and I'm excited at getting it back to running how it should (damaged valve drive pot and a couple of other little things).

Just going through the online booking via TNT's site and if I enter amplifier as the contents it flags it as a prohibited item.. did you have this issue or put the contents as something else?? Just concerned that could nullify and insurance claim if it comes to that.

Edited by Marky L
  • Like 1

It's only prohibited if send internationally depending on where its coming from and going to. When I went through the detail it didn't (as far as I could see) prohibit it from domestic shipping or insuring. I can see that if you type in Amplifier it flags it up but I went through the list of prohibited items line by line and there is nothing that reflects an Amp. If you look at 'restricted item' there is a note on amps but I was OK with this as I'd packaged it in a ton of bubble wrap and frankly you could have chucked it off the Shard and it would still be in one peice at the bottom. I was more worried about loss.

RESTRICTED ITEMS

TNT deems the following goods to be either hazardous or requiring a 'two person lift'. If you book a consignment to send the goods listed below then TNT reserves the right to refuse to collect this and if it does collect it then TNT accepts no liability for the loss or damage of the goods.

Dependent upon the countries of origin, transit and destination, examples of items that could be defined as Restricted include but are not limited to:

Amplifiers And Speakers - maximum Parcel Protection value for damages is £200, up to £2,500 for lost items.

Apple Mac/Macpro - maximum Parcel Protection value for damages is £200, up to £2,500 for lost items. (iMacs are protected for loss only)

Banjo/Guitar/Cello/Violin - maximum Parcel Protection value for damages is £100, up to £1,000 for lost items. All musical instruments must be sent in a hard case and boxed.

Computers - maximum Parcel Protection value for damages is £200, up to £2,500 for lost items. (All in one computers are protected for loss only)

Edited by CJPJ