Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

15 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Because things cost money to make, but there are always chances to find stuff.

I got a B-Stock ABM600 Evo IV last year in the black friday sale (ie, last last year, 2000) for £345 and all it had was one scratch on the tolex.

PMT by any chance? 

13 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

I’ve seen some excellent deals for these new and second hand recently.

Gear is expensive, However when I was looking at buying a head, the ashdown Abm 600 seemed fairly reasonably priced compared to some of its competitors. 

I agree, when you review overall it is either a Markbass , Orange or hitting up at Ampeg. I dont mind the weight of course 

I adore the Valve sound ( SVT Owner for a while ) , I'll have to rescan the fields, I wasn't sure if they were going todo a Mark V so was Dreaming/hoping 

1 hour ago, Chaddy said:

I agree, when you review overall it is either a Markbass , Orange or hitting up at Ampeg. I dont mind the weight of course 

I adore the Valve sound ( SVT Owner for a while ) , I'll have to rescan the fields, I wasn't sure if they were going todo a Mark V so was Dreaming/hoping 

This is the best deal I can find for a new one

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/ashdown-abm-600-evo-iv.html

I do keep recommending these guys throughout this thread, but I’ve never used them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alexa3020 said:

This is the best deal I can find for a new one

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/ashdown-abm-600-evo-iv.html

I do keep recommending these guys throughout this thread, but I’ve never used them.

It does say Country of Origin: China.

Is that a mistake or were some of them made over there?

Zooming in on the back of it says Manufactured in PRC

Ashdown.jpg

Edited by fretmeister
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Not a mistake, they are manufactured in china, like most of ashdowns amps, apart from the valve stuff which is made in the UK. They all go through the UK for assembly and testing.

16 hours ago, la bam said:

In fairness a new abm600 is a fantastic price. All the amp you'll ever need, repairable, powerful, great tone and built like a tank.

Compare that to some cheaper class d ones out there and there no comparison ....

+1

I very recently paid £649 for mine new & think it's an absolute bargain considering just how brilliant it is.

Best amplifier I ever had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

oh - I thought the ABM's were made in the UK.

They used to be. EVO ii and Klystron (EVO iii) were made in the UK I believe. There's no doubt that the current models are quality though. 

I've toyed with buying a dual VU / rack mounted Evo IV and I just don't see the point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Keep saving the pennies, they’re amazing amps, and yep, don’t matter where they’re made, if they’re good they’re good

5 or 6 years I reckon. Kids will be starting university this year and I'm going to have to make my strings last twice as long!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Ashdown.jpg

Be aware that if you buy an amp from this mob (or any of the other Euro box shifters) that if it goes wrong, you will have to send it back to the shop in Germany as the Ashdown 5 year warranty is not applicable as it wasn`t bought in the UK.

Ashdown may look at it for you but they are under no obligation to do so or repair. Just a word of caution from one who knows. 

Having said that, if you contact the shop in Germany, they will more than likely tell you to send it to Ashdown but they might have to arrange it with Ashdown. 

Edited by jezzaboy

Ashdown support for their products is second to none.

I called about an older second hand ABM600 I purchased that had a bent output volume pot.

They asked me for my address and sent a new pot out FOC 

Thats what I call looking after the product regardless of the source.

21 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Ashdown support for their products is second to none.

I called about an older second hand ABM600 I purchased that had a bent output volume pot.

They asked me for my address and sent a new pot out FOC 

Thats what I call looking after the product regardless of the source.

I agree with you. They have sorted me out before and asked for no payment, I have used their products for years and will do so in the future. I am not having a pop at them in my above post but what I wrote is true and in the future I will buy their products from a UK based shop.

• Like 1

Would I be doing any damage overdriving the preamp? On the vu meter I occasionally hit the red, however, when I engage my octave pedal it boosts the input volume and the vu meter is constantly in the red? It adds a bit of grit and sounds pretty nice, but I’m slightly concerned I’d be damaging the amp. Any advice here?

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

As long as you’re not hard over permanently in the red you should be fine 

I'm not & now that I think about it, I can probably get the engaged/unengaged volumes to match by turning the octave volume  down & adjusting the blend.

However, I would be interested to know the implications if the  VU was constantly hard in the red 

13 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

I'm not & now that I think about it, I can probably get the engaged/unengaged volumes to match by turning the octave volume  down & adjusting the blend.

However, I would be interested to know the implications if the  VU was constantly hard in the red 

Send Dave Green an email. He'll tell you.

• Like 1

I played my ABM600IV for the first time in the studio last night. Just a wonderful thing with amazing sound - the band commented on how much better I sounded 🙂 . The change in tone with the EQ boost and Asdown magic button on/off is really noticable. I'm not 100% on the match with my recently aquired Epiphany cabinet - its a fantastic speaker but I need to A/B against the K410 I was previously using to really feel its its a keeper - changing cab and amp at the same time makes it hard to track how and why your sound is changing.

One thing I did notice was the reasonably loud buzz when I had the valve drive botton pressed in. To be fair, the chap who sold me it told me about it but now that I have it I think it needs a service and I might send to Ashdown to take a look.

Do you think this might be needing a replacement valve or maybe something related to grounding? There is a underlying grounding noise from my P Bass as it's single coil which I'm OK with but this was a deeper and louder 'hum'.