Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

The RM414 is a nice sounding cab, and if doing regular pub sized gigs more than enough. If playing big stages & touring in vans etc I’d go for the ABMs, more hard wearing and a greater depth to the sound which helps on those big stages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

I’ve not heard he pro neo ABM’s, but I would go (standard heavier) ABM’s over Rm cabs any day

Interesting - I guess linked to Lozz196's comment below

2 hours ago, la bam said:

I had the rm212. Just be aware the earlier rm stuff was heavy. The 212 weighed in over 30kg, so a 410, could be even heavier. The newer rm stuff is a lot lighter.

That's definately a compromise which needs considering. I've got a TCE K410 at the moment which weighs in at 27kg which is frustratingly heavy to carry up and down stairs

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

The RM414 is a nice sounding cab, and if doing regular pub sized gigs more than enough. If playing big stages & touring in vans etc I’d go for the ABMs, more hard wearing and a greater depth to the sound which helps on those big stages.

I'd definately prefer a longer term hold which would mean getting something capable of doing bigger venues

I wonder if @BassAdder27 has the right idea with 2 x 115s as you'd probably get the overall ooomph of a 410 but in a more portable package! Either that or go the BF route . . .

21 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

I wonder if @BassAdder27 has the right idea with 2 x 115s as you'd probably get the overall ooomph of a 410 but in a more portable package! Either that or go the BF route . . .

Personally I’d be looking at 2nd hand. You’ll not know what you like until you try it at volume with a band, and even then it’ll take a few rehearsals until you know for sure.

if you go 2nd hand, you’ll be able to sell on for similar money. With regard to BF I’d definitely try and listen to a cab before purchase. Or you can return a cab after a month if you don’t like it for around £30. I had the 10’s and for me they didn’t live up to the hype. That said, lots of people love them

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

Me too. The ST is 1,200RMS at 4ohms which presumably means that the ABM600 would be fine at 8ohms?

The ABM produces 600W into 4 ohms.

8 ohms doesn’t come into the equation if you’re pairing the amp with a 4 ohm cab :)

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1

The ABM210H Pro Neos are for the money and size / weight an amazing cab and I found two stacked in my rock band a good match with my Abm600 

I then took the decision to see if I could fill out the band sound even more with 15” cabs in ported variant.

Tried the ABM115H ported cab and was pleased with the depth of sound but stocks of new cabs are non existent at present ( February delivery quoted ) so I scrapped that plan 

If I could afford to keep both I would hold on to the Neos as they are so light and easy to carry around. 
I can carry both my two Neo cabs one in each hand ! Try doing that with some cabs !

For me the hunt continues but I can vouch for the Neo cabs as certainly up to the job unless you are playing huge venues ! 

27 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

The ABM210H Pro Neos are for the money and size / weight an amazing cab and I found two stacked in my rock band a good match with my Abm600 

I then took the decision to see if I could fill out the band sound even more with 15” cabs in ported variant.

Tried the ABM115H ported cab and was pleased with the depth of sound but stocks of new cabs are non existent at present ( February delivery quoted ) so I scrapped that plan 

If I could afford to keep both I would hold on to the Neos as they are so light and easy to carry around. 
I can carry both my two Neo cabs one in each hand ! Try doing that with some cabs !

For me the hunt continues but I can vouch for the Neo cabs as certainly up to the job unless you are playing huge venues ! 

did you see the link to musik produktiv - available for £299. Lots of people on here successfully used them when they were selling off the rm heads for cheap

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic , for not being a owner bar a 115ABM cab that's used as my easy to the car cab for Isolation room practises etc. 

But why oh why is new gear so ridiculously expensive? £700 for a ABMIV600 head unit, Even a decent 2nd hand one is going for sub £500! 

Such a PITA to find something that is decent with a Valve pre for example that is worth the money with out spending days on days scanning the ads , Is it too hard to just want the Jon Stockman Sound awake album bass tone! :(

1 hour ago, Chaddy said:

Slightly off topic , for not being a owner bar a 115ABM cab that's used as my easy to the car cab for Isolation room practises etc. 

But why oh why is new gear so ridiculously expensive? £700 for a ABMIV600 head unit, Even a decent 2nd hand one is going for sub £500! 

Such a PITA to find something that is decent with a Valve pre for example that is worth the money with out spending days on days scanning the ads , Is it too hard to just want the Jon Stockman Sound awake album bass tone! :(

Doesn't Stockman use the Darkglass Alpha Omega these days?

A pedal is a lot cheaper than an amp!

2 hours ago, Chaddy said:

Because things cost money to make, but there are always chances to find stuff.

I got a B-Stock ABM600 Evo IV last year in the black friday sale (ie, last last year, 2000) for £345 and all it had was one scratch on the tolex.

4 hours ago, Chaddy said:

I’ve seen some excellent deals for these new and second hand recently.

Gear is expensive, However when I was looking at buying a head, the ashdown Abm 600 seemed fairly reasonably priced compared to some of its competitors. 

I think they’re just about the perfect amp, light enough to carry about without any difficulty, incredibly versatile on sound due to the extensive eq, and the features as per @la bams post above. Nicely bridge the gap between the smaller Class D amps and the big all valve jobbies. 

True he moved to Darkglass, but this was after using the Tech XL And Ampeg stuff for tracking, and ashdown gear for live. I still prefer his old set up as the DG sounds abit off... but better than that monster of a board he was carrying about I guess!