Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

1 minute ago, Chienmortbb said:

It is best not to assume anything about amps or cabs in my experience.

Well it’s not entirely a baseless assumption. I gigged my MAG810 for several years, and have now gigged my BF Big Twin 2 for several years, and the difference is night and day. Granted, the post I was referring to was talking about a BF 6x10 but I’d be very very surprised if that cab wasn’t better than a MAG810 

10 minutes ago, Chaddy said:

The guitarists were clearly too loud..... 

I'd say this was a connection problem i.e Amp to Cab or Bass to Amp comes to mind

Could be. I changed every cable I could!

8 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

Well it’s not entirely a baseless assumption. I gigged my MAG810 for several years, and have now gigged my BF Big Twin 2 for several years, and the difference is night and day. Granted, the post I was referring to was talking about a BF 6x10 but I’d be very very surprised if that cab wasn’t better than a MAG810 

I used to gig a Ampeg 610 and the Barefaced is much better ( and lighter!) 

I'm beginning to think it might be my ears! 

15 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Could be. I changed every cable I could!

I used to gig a Ampeg 610 and the Barefaced is much better ( and lighter!) 

I'm beginning to think it might be my ears! 

As @Mertonsays, it could just be a combination of crappy acoustics and other instruments taking up each other’s sonic space. I used to do a lot of biker rally gigs, and they always rented village hall type venues, most of which were terrible for live band sound. Tall ceilings with masses of big windows and wooden floors, felt like the sound was just bouncing off every surface and was rather unpleasant 

• Like 2

Some venues just suck sound, others love it. I played in a bay window alcove of a hotel reception facing into a big room and dancefloor with a Rootmaster 500 and hardly had the volume over a quarter and they kept telling me turn down!

6 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

From what I understand the BF 10” range are focused more on upper bass rather than the deeper frequencies so as others have said probably the room not working well with the cab.

Yeah this is a good point, could be just that. I’m going to chalk it up to crap room acoustics rather than throwing the ABM from the top floor window….

I used my very early ABM500 Evo RC for rehearsal on Tuesday, with my Warwick SS1, into a BF Big Twin 2. It sounded pretty good. I’ve been mulling it over since and I’m seriously tempted to sell my EBS TD650 and Darkglass X Ultra, and just get a ABM600 and Paradriver V2. I’m not really doing much that needs the balls out drive of the X Ultra, and I think I could easily get a tone from an ABM600 that would work for 90% of what I’m doing at the moment 

Edited by ern500evo
  • Like 1

To change the subject, I saw Pearl Jam last night. Jeff Ament was using what looked like a ABM 600 EVO IV RC in a custom housing - alongside a Bad Lieutenant and another amp I couldn't recognise, each sat on a 810. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

To change the subject, I saw Pearl Jam last night. Jeff Ament was using what looked like a ABM 600 EVO IV RC in a custom housing - alongside a Bad Lieutenant and another amp I couldn't recognise, each sat on a 810. 

Ah! I was there too and only managed to ID the ABM!

I loved the rigs being labelled Low, Lower and Lowest 😀

• Like 1

On 09/07/2022 at 13:30, Merton said:

Ah! I was there too and only managed to ID the ABM!

I loved the rigs being labelled Low, Lower and Lowest 😀

Found a photo of the other two. So the Lower amp I know, Bad Lieutenant.  What’s the Lowest?

3F3DF6C1-3E88-4B08-AAB9-7E7420AF5BCC.jpeg

Going back to volume, I played an outdoor gig today with only vocals and kick drum going through the Pa. Barely needed any volume for my 2x15 cabs to keep up. This surprised me, I guess this is due to it being completely out in the open & nothing for the drum sounds to bounce off?

im normally around 10 o’clock-ish

here’s my settings (input gain about 3 o’clock)

A08AE3F3-A9EF-46EB-BD27-4F3672AB38C3.thumb.jpeg.fa2f0cb8f77d1a081057dada0ab4499c.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Going back to volume, I played an outdoor gig today with only vocals and kick drum going through the Pa. Barely needed any volume for my 2x15 cabs to keep up. This surprised me, I guess this is due to it being completely out in the open & nothing for the drum sounds to bounce off?

im normally around 10 o’clock-ish

here’s my settings (input gain about 3 o’clock)

A08AE3F3-A9EF-46EB-BD27-4F3672AB38C3.thumb.jpeg.fa2f0cb8f77d1a081057dada0ab4499c.jpeg

Wow that’s a low output volume!

At rehearsals my Abm600 output is around 9 o’clock to 10 o’clock and we are a loud band !

5 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Wow that’s a low output volume!

At rehearsals my Abm600 output is around 9 o’clock to 10 o’clock and we are a loud band !

Yeah, I was really surprised. The stage was completely open though in a field. I’m trying to recall if I’ve ever played a completely open stage before and whether it was the same. The drummer is a reasonably loud hitter too. Maybe it was too hot for him today and he took it easy!

I saw this page this morning

image.thumb.png.462681601393e5e7168d9c97a47087f2.png

.....which led to this.....

image.png.a1c198c8b1800de8452fe6630181c0fd.png

....which led to this....

DSC_6758.thumb.JPG.9025929df150136a7510f66beea570ae.JPG

I hope people on here like overhang. The people in PMT seemed absolutely amazed at how much it was selling for.

Initial thoughts tailored to this audience of basschatters:

1. The fans are silent. I mean they're not quiet, they are literally silent. I cannot hear them.
  2. It sounds great through this 6.5" speaker, which is my only cabinet.
  3. The car picture above is for teh lulz. I actually walked there and back and was able to carry it 0.6 miles without too much difficulty.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, chyc said:

I saw this page this morning

image.thumb.png.462681601393e5e7168d9c97a47087f2.png

.....which led to this.....

image.png.a1c198c8b1800de8452fe6630181c0fd.png

....which led to this....

DSC_6758.thumb.JPG.9025929df150136a7510f66beea570ae.JPG

I hope people on here like overhang. The people in PMT seemed absolutely amazed at how much it was selling for.

Initial thoughts tailored to this audience of basschatters:

1. The fans are silent. I mean they're not quiet, they are literally silent. I cannot hear them.
  2. It sounds great through this 6.5" speaker, which is my only cabinet.
  3. The car picture above is for teh lulz. I actually walked there and back and was able to carry it 0.6 miles without too much difficulty.

they have a new fan system. Same one that is now on the Evo5.

I was chatting with Ashdown about it. They said there aren’t many Evo4 in the wild with the new fan system yet, but all newly built ones are properly quiet now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Shouldn't be that surprised, it is about what I bought my B Stock evo 600 from them last year.

Aww c'mon, at least pretend I got a good deal!

In all seriousness the price of EVOs has gone through the roof recently (£749 at PMT for the ABM 600), so the fact I got it at the same price as last year I regard as a victory.

Sounds amazing BTW, definitely no buyer's remorse. Cannot believe how alive it can make such a piddly cabinet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chyc said:

Aww c'mon, at least pretend I got a good deal!

You did - I was really chuffed when I got it at that price too. It seems occasionally PMT do some mad prices, which is odd considering they are normally not the cheapest. And I hadn't seen that price since I got mine, And mine has been gigged heavily since then and never let me down (although I think the mute light has recently stopped working)