Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

13 hours ago, ern500evo said:

Has anyone seen any kind of marketing video of the 750 yet?? I find it really odd that Ashdown have launched a £1500 amp, which shows as being available to buy, yet there’s not one single launch/demo video to accompany it 

Their social media game is really weak compared to others.

When others launch a new product there's often 10 youtubers revealing their demo vids on launch day. They are provided with units in advance so there's loads available at launch.

They really need to be doing that sort of thing these days.

I'm looking forward to the demo - I want to see if I can hear the fans!! :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

When others launch a new product there's often 10 youtubers revealing their demo vids on launch day. They are provided with units in advance so there's loads available at launch.

Exactly my thought. I think they are changing a bit, but it's going slowly

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

What doesn’t help Ashdown is the constant changing of designs using similar model designations 

ABM cabs as example 

Finding reviews just on the cabs is hard going ! 

I still use the 1998 ABM 1510HX cab

Doesn't appear to exist anywhere else in the World 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Completely agree. Look at companies like Darkglass, the day a product is launched there’s videos all over YouTube by the likes of Nate Navarro, Amos Heller, Patrick Hunter. That’s a lot of views of your product in a very short space of time. I really like Ashdown, and their customer service is legendary, but they’re really missing a trick here 

• Like 1

Agree, bringing out a new product, especially a new series of such a well known/loved range as the ABM amps there def should a product demo video ready & waiting for launch day. From what I understand the guy who used to do GAK product demos is now with Ashdown, use his talents on this.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ern500evo said:

Just send one to Andertons and let Lee and Nathan do a demo on it. Their YouTube channel has 775k subscribers! 

It needs more than that.

They play their way. They always sound like them. That's the point of multiple demos from different players.

At least The Bass Channel has 4 or 5 different players with different styles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

It needs more than that.

They play their way. They always sound like them. That's the point of multiple demos from different players.

At least The Bass Channel has 4 or 5 different players with different styles.

Completely agree, but sending one to someone with 775k subscribers would be a far better start than the tumbleweed experience while we wait for a Ashdown demo! 😃

• Like 1

I love my ABM. I don't think much of their marketing!

Ashdown seem to do lots of posts about recording videos but the video itself always seems to take ages to arrive. They always manage to miss any new product buzz they might have had by not having some sort of video ready at launch. They need to consider it an essential part of the product launch. The world has moved on from releasing a product and sending it to a magazine to review. Maybe they don't need to do the full assault that Fender do with any new product, but something would be better than nothing.

I feel like the videos they do, do are quite basic as well. Recently it's just been their video guy talking about the thing, and showcasing one sound throughout the whole video with the same bassline. Not really showing the range of tones from any of their products like you get from youtube reviewers.

They released a video about the ABM 400 25th anniversary reissue the other day, but it's the same darn bassline everytime it goes from Mark Gooday talking about it to someone playing.

• Like 1

When I am considering buying a new amp, new bass or anything else for that matter, I have never looked at a you tube video beforehand. If want a new amp, I want to see it, pick it up (or try to) and play through it, preferably with my own bass, if not, then something very similar to it.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

When I am considering buying a new amp, new bass or anything else for that matter, I have never looked at a you tube video beforehand. If want a new amp, I want to see it, pick it up (or try to) and play through it, preferably with my own bass, if not, then something very similar to it.

It's a Brave New World! :D 

• Like 1

I love my ABM to bits. I bought this EvoII Rc 5 years ago, it's a 2008 model. 
After gigging it with a cheap furry Chinese case that I got for about 20€ I bought a Gator case for it in 2020. The weight is more of course but it has fallen two times with no damage and I think it looks good as hell.
Having bought the 3 space tack version, I managed to mount a small power strip to power the head, the pedalboard and the Mooer Radar with a single socket, I also store all the cables I need for it in the remaining room on top of the head.
I play with my P basses and a Gallien Krueger CX 210 cab, at times I also use it combined with the CX 410 cab.

1372185803_Screenshot(604).png.f942c5e3ff2864fbaad7f145995748bf.png

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, SonnyBassPlayer said:

I love my ABM to bits. I bought this EvoII Rc 5 years ago, it's a 2008 model. 
After gigging it with a cheap furry Chinese case that I got for about 20€ I bought a Gator case for it in 2020. The weight is more of course but it has fallen two times with no damage and I think it looks good as hell.
Having bought the 3 space tack version, I managed to mount a small power strip to power the head, the pedalboard and the Mooer Radar with a single socket, I also store all the cables I need for it in the remaining room on top of the head.
I play with my P basses and a Gallien Krueger CX 210 cab, at times I also use it combined with the CX 410 cab.

1372185803_Screenshot(604).png.f942c5e3ff2864fbaad7f145995748bf.png

I still have my very early Evo RC, they look so cool, but are an utter b***rd under stage lights when you’re not yet familiar with the layout! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Yeah I’m only slowly getting to this YouTube product channels 

Generally I think “right, check this “ and some guy is slapping an Alembic 32nd note style and that’s me tired out 

I did watch an Ashdown one on the CTM which was ok but it was months after I bought mine (which was second hand as well)

Edited by Bagman
  • Like 1

Youtube has become so important though. More equipment is sold via the internet than in person - and the percentage difference is massive. 

Some physical shops sell 75% online.

Vids from a variety of people is important for that - slappers can have their fave player, the rockers someone else etc.

And especially with the cost of returning an online order amp if you don't like it, the videos help people decide what they do not want to buy.

A good set of vids cuts down on the amount of returns that the shop has to deal with and avoids that expense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I always look on youtube for the features etc, not necessarily the sound as you can't really get that from youtube. Bu things like inputs and ease of use etc, its very useful.

I just bought a new ABM 600.... I love my Rootmaster but I just want that added... Wait for it.......... Heft. 

There are features I've come to rely on from Ashdown amps: EQ button to go to flat, switchable drive, I even use the sub harmonics. Whenever I've used ABMs in the past, just in rehearsal rooms, and found them excellent for passive P basses, so I'm hoping that with some dedicated time I can get a fantastic Stingray tone from it too. Really looking forward to having the extra headroom and meatiness to the sound!

• Like 3

My ABM arrived on Thursday I think. Gigged it last night. Holy moly. What a sound!!!! Musicman Stingray, slight dip in the mids on the amp, ramping up the mids on the bass onboard EQ for certain songs and wow. The authority to the bass sound is immense. I love it! I thought my Rootmaster was great but the ABM is a cut above. 

• Like 6

I just picked up an ABM 500 from the forum (uK manufactured rackmount version). Any advice for settings to get a warm-but-not-gritty overdriven sound for old school blues rock? Obviously I can play around and use my ears ... but there are so many variables in the controls, I thought I would just ask here first for a short cut!

PS, on first play around the overdrive doesn't seem to drive very much at all, but it may be that I need to balance it with input and gain settings?

Edited by Clarky