Why become a member? ×

Questions Questions

stewblack

Haven't done one of these for a while. So I thought it was about time. As usual my answer is yes in every case! Well almost.

Please feel free to expand on your answers, or if you prefer a simple yes or no that's fine too.

1) Ever bought a pedal even though you know you already have the perfect pedal of that type?

2) Ever 'discovered' a pedal or pedals at home which you'd entirely forgotten owning?

3) Ever bought a pedal purely on its looks?

4) Ever bought a pedal purely on its name?

5) Ever been unable to bring yourself to sell a pedal you know you'll never use?

6) Ever decided a pedal was rubbish, sold it, then bought it again years later deciding it was you not the pedal at fault?

7) Ever built a board, or boards, comprising pedals all of the same brand for the sheer hell of it and yet never gigged them (and knew you never would)?

😎 Ever commission a hand built pedal, which is effectively just a big fuzz box,  for more money than a Helix costs and have absolutely no regrets?

9) Ever bought a pedal just to p off a  guitarist in a band?

10) any idea why 8 followed by a bracket comes out as a face in sunglasses?

11) Ever bought more than one of the same pedal ? Still got them both/all?

• Like 1

The answer to Question 10 is because the forum software stupidly assumes that you want a smilie rather than an figure 8 followed by a bracket. Previous versions allowed you to turn off automatic smilies, or tweak the text by hand, but the last 2 or so have left out that functionality.

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I have a Keely Compressor Pro and an FEA Dual Band, so yes. And I want a Markbass Compressore and a Cali-76, so I'd do it again if I got the chance!

Kind of- I realised it was time to sell a few pedals when I started writing a list to keep track of them.

It's all about the sound for me, but I bet I've been influenced subconsciously. Some of them do look awesome!

No- in fact some of them turn me off. Naming pedals and choosing their paint jobs can take some folks to very strange places. I think the Muff set something in motion it could never have forseen.

I think I have a handle on that- but I have more pedals than I use, so I could be wrong.

I have an odd hankering for a Boss DS-1. They're far from ideal on bass, but they look so cool, and I love the utilitarian 'Distortion' name; I haven't actually bought another yet, though, so I'm not officially contradicting any of my previous answers.

No, but I do have that tendency. If I can resist a temptation like that I will- there are more than enough routines, fixations, and obsession to go round in this head already, thanks!

What, like what you done? 😉 Not yet, but I have plans for one which is just a big flanger. I'll have to come back to you about the regrets...

Now, that I haven't done. I've been quietly p'd off by a few guitarists and their pedals, but that's another matter.

Yes; as BigRed says, but I find it weird that in a world of pre-cooked smilies I find it weird that the text versions can't easily be typed, either for comic effect or to, you know, actually use the characters for their real purpose.

I had three clones of the Boss LMB-3- two Harley Bentons and a Behringer. It's a great levelling compressor for general use, but three was pushing it. I think one of the HBs went via facebook marketplace, the Behringer went to some loser on a bass forum to build a board, or boards, comprising pedals all of the same brand for the sheer hell of it and yet never gigged them (and knew he never would). 😉😇

Brilliant absolutely brilliant.

20 hours ago, stewblack said:

Haven't done one of these for a while. So I thought it was about time. As usual my answer is yes in every case! Well almost.

Please feel free to expand on your answers, or if you prefer a simple yes or no that's fine too.

1) Ever bought a pedal even though you know you already have the perfect pedal of that type?

2) Ever 'discovered' a pedal or pedals at home which you'd entirely forgotten owning?

3) Ever bought a pedal purely on its looks?

4) Ever bought a pedal purely on its name?

5) Ever been unable to bring yourself to sell a pedal you know you'll never use?

6) Ever decided a pedal was rubbish, sold it, then bought it again years later deciding it was you not the pedal at fault?

7) Ever built a board, or boards, comprising pedals all of the same brand for the sheer hell of it and yet never gigged them (and knew you never would)?

😎 Ever commission a hand built pedal, which is effectively just a big fuzz box,  for more money than a Helix costs and have absolutely no regrets?

9) Ever bought a pedal just to p off a  guitarist in a band?

10) any idea why 8 followed by a bracket comes out as a face in sunglasses?

11) Ever bought more than one of the same pedal ? Still got them both/all?

1) Yes. Just to try it / see what the hype was about etc.

2) Yes.

3) Yes. 

4) Yes. A couple of times.

5) Certainly delayed selling things for a while.

6) Yes. Only to realise that either it was not the right pedal.

7) No. Only ever had 1 board. Had a few spare pedals, but only 1 board.

8.) Yes. Though it wasn't that expensive at the time, they became more expensive as time went on. No regrets.

9) No.

10) Emoji keyboard shotcuts from the days when you had to type them in. Semi colon, close bracket. Colon capital D.

11) Yes. No.

YES!

How is it so that here I have @stewblack telling about my (questionable) successes...

...and all of my (big) mistakes.

If I sold my pedals, or would have saved all the money that went to these toys, which dream bass would I have bought years ago? And lost the fun finding all those nice noises that were completely useless in the band context?

That's life

(That's life)

That's what all the people say

You're riding high in April, shot down in May

But I know I'm gonna change that tune

When I'm back on top, back on top in June

I said that's life

(That's life)

And as funny as it may seem

Some people get their kicks

Stomping on a dream

- Frankie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

One time I almost convinced myself to try an Attack Goat distortion, when I have no real use for a full on distortion pedal.

But how cool would it be to have an Attack Goat on standby!!!?!!!!!!?

What colour is it? Wher can I buy one?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, stewblack said:

What colour is it? Wher can I buy one?

It is charcoal black with graphics in white. Sorta horror movie graphic of war bandaged goat hoof. ATTACK GOAT in pseudo Mars Attacks all caps style.

Made by a Canadian outfit that isn't as well known among bassists as Broughton. More known for their multi channel blenders I think.

• Thanks 1