Why become a member? ×

Bass Chorus - Cool Cat

ped

I’ve never really found a chorus pedal I like that much - I used a CEB3 for a while and have tried a few since then but always found them a bit thin or too much like a bad flanger at times. That said I really like the sound of bass chorus on records especially when the bassline is funky and syncopated. There’s something cool about how it works in that context. 

I just got a Danelectro Cool Cat pedal, one of the 18v ones, all metal, massive. I have fond memories of these as we used to use a Fab Tone and Back Talk (now very expensive!) in my uni band. 

I had read good things but wasn’t really holding out much hope - maybe chorus just isn’t for me! But this thing sounds sweet. No loss of bass at all and a slight volume boost, with a rate and depth control which seem to interact in a really pleasing way. Fast and shallow or slow and deep - both sound rich and syrupy. Plus the pedal looks, weighs, feels and is physically the size of a 50s fridge. What’s not to like? 

1441C7CE-DAD0-414F-B325-73DA223F9010.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

@disssa I think it was a review you wrote that I saw?

I just tried it on my fretted P with flats, and something about the way it sounds with the clunk of the P really makes it sound fretless. I mean not exactly of course but really convincing. I'll try to record something.

Interestingly, the only pedal I really like with the P bass is my old Bassballs pedal (which sounds horrible with all of my other basses) - running it after the Cool Cat seems to suck the low end out of the Bassballs... whilst when it's in front there's no problem. Kinda weird? Is it because the Bassballs prefers a passive input and going after the Cool Cat does something with the whatdyamacallit?

Yep, I’ve owned a few of these over the years, sold them each time due to lack of use… I tried other pedals but eventually just gave up and decided chorus wasn’t for me.

Then recently I got another in a job lot of pedals and gave it a quick try, search over, this is what I was looking for in a chorus pedal after all! 

Chorus still isn’t my favourite effect but if/when I need it, I’ll be using one of these for sure 

T. C Electronic Dreamscape is a truly exceptional pedal on bass' designed by a Guitar player for primaraly just that  this little box can Chorus' Vibrato' Flange' & almost Phase & throw in the Toneprint mode... where ridiculous amounts of Chorus plethora are available... Tough to beat indeed.... "Digital not Analogue" . 

Edited by paulo m
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, kingforaday said:

I’ve owned the Fab Tone too… it is insane. I was expecting some vintage light overdrive by the look of it… but woah! 

Yeah I’ve heard it’s quite ‘big’ on bass!! Apparently the Daddy-O is quite good too. I believe Marcus Miller uses one. 

I never really got on with Chorus pedals, though i've tried a few over the years.  They either rob the low or sound too much like a mild flanger or both

I dont  like the Choruses in my Zoom Multi.  Then in a fit of oddness, i  bought a Boss Dimension C DC2 .  Weird thing, no knobs  (   matron ) 

I couldnt lash out  for a new one,  as i wasnt sure i'd get on with it, so bought 2nd hand and a lot cheaper than new

I really like it, as it can be subtle  enough if  required, which i do require.

Boss.JPG

• Like 1

Chorus on bass usually makes me feel a bit seasick - takes a nice solid bass sound then adds a copy that's slightly out of time and out of tune and wobbles it about a bit! Who thought that would be a good idea other than someone trying to make people feel ill?! 

Saying that though, I do quite like the Boss CEB-3 because it's subtle and can control how much low end is effected. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Chorus on bass usually makes me feel a bit seasick - takes a nice solid bass sound then adds a copy that's slightly out of time and out of tune and wobbles it about a bit! Who thought that would be a good idea other than someone trying to make people feel ill?! 

Saying that though, I do quite like the Boss CEB-3 because it's subtle and can control how much low end is effected. 

I know what you mean! For me though it’s one of those things that when wrapped around a band can sound really special, and like with a phaser, the shifting frequencies make your bass sound separate a little and give it some 3D texture. I tend to avoid blending pedals as I never feel they work as well

• Like 1