Why become a member? ×

Ned Callan 70s BritSh!t bass, endorsed by Entwistle...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180343281052"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180343281052[/url]

Realistically just a candidate for the overpriced listings thread and massively unlikely to get any bids - but I can't help but be very curious to watch this auction cos, like, I've got one of these:

[attachment=23298:ned.jpg]

And funnily enough was considering flogging it. Hmm. :)

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='beerdragon' post='454220' date='Apr 4 2009, 05:10 PM']Am i right in saying Ned Callan and Peter Cook were one and the same?[/quote]
Yes - the history's a bit patchy, but Ned Callan was Cook's own line of quality, mass-produced UK-made instruments. I have no idea if "Ned" ever existed, but it seems that bodies & necks were made by Shergold to Cook's specs and the guitars presumably finished & assembled by Cook. These were sold under several different brands as well as Ned - mine's a CMI (Jim Marshall's Cleartone Musical Instruments) and there were also Shaftesbury (Rose-Morris' own brand) & Simms-Watts, who were distributors for the Callan brand too.

There's some erroneous info on the Web suggesting that the brands other than Callan weren't built by Cook & were in fact JapCrap! Utter rot - they're all the same, and speaking personally, having owned & worked on literally hundreds of 70s Japanese guitars over the years, there isn't a single component on my CMI Ned which even remotely resembles anything Japanese.

As far as this is concerned - the one on Ebay is the only one of these I've ever seen apart from mine & the one The Ox has in the ads. Also, Neepheid on here has an ongoing restoration project with a short-scale, set neck version of the same design. Ned Callans come up on Ebay from time to time, but these are usually the later Cody ("Knobbly Ned") or Hombre models, which seem a great deal more common.

J.

Starting at a grand??? Somehow, I don't think so missus! I'll be watching with interest too.
Sold mine years ago in the 80's - a white Ned Callan Cody bass which I had de-fretted plus added a DiMarzio pup (see pic).
[attachment=23308:ned_call...ody_bass.jpg]

Edited by Stingray5

[quote name='Bassassin' post='454230' date='Apr 4 2009, 05:39 PM']...the one on Ebay is the only one of these I've ever seen apart from mine & the one The Ox has in the ads. Also, Neepheid on here has an ongoing restoration project with a short-scale, set neck version of the same design.[/quote]

Only just realised looking at the pic again, this Ebay one is short-scale, & presumably the same as Neepheid's. Which means Big John's is still the only one like mine I've seen. Quick, ain't I? :)

J.

[quote name='oz of the bass' post='459326' date='Apr 10 2009, 02:29 PM']I was informed it had an ability to fetch this sort of money anyone who is interested please pm me forwhat you would be willing to pay[/quote]
Hi Oz & welcome to BC. I'm interested if you don't mind my asking - how were you informed & by whom? Information about these is pretty thin on the ground.

Jon.

Hi,

The friend who i got it off said it was easy a good amount of moneys worth of bass and he quoted he could see it selling on the modern market for around £1400.
He used it for showing and such like when he bought it new in the era they were being made. I undercut his quote and put it lower to try and raise interest in the item. The auction ends soon, so will be open to any reasonable offers after that.

Cheers

Pass, I'm beginning to get the feeling sentimental value played a small part in that, the question is, what do you think its worth guys? I must admit im a little in the dark after seeing no information or even anybody selling them and other people not even sure of their existance! I just undercut what he said thinking I was going in low...