Why become a member? ×

NBD - reunited with my '71 P!

wateroftyne

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Not an A/B, and not well recorded enough to offer a scientific comparison, but here you go.

FWIW, I think the maple-ness of the B&W '71 is noticeable.

Agree, the b&w maple seems “higher” in its eq, the ‘burst rosewood sitting “lower” in the eq.

Certainly gives me a bit of a conundrum, I’ve an audition on Mon, from the two clips I reckon the rosewood would sound better but I’ve been playing maple for a good while and it feels more familiar. I think go for the one that I play better.

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree, the b&w maple seems “higher” in its eq, the ‘burst rosewood sitting “lower” in the eq.

Certainly gives me a bit of a conundrum, I’ve an audition on Mon, from the two clips I reckon the rosewood would sound better but I’ve been playing maple for a good while and it feels more familiar. I think go for the one that I play better.

Yeah, I'd agree with that - it's horses for courses. The bands I'm in generally have space in the mix for that rosewood 'bloom'. But then I have dep gigs where the maple would definitely be a better fit.

Love the bark from the roundwounds on the ‘burst. 

This has been a great story and a marvellous endorsement of the BC collective (definitely needed recently, what with quite a lot of shouty threads going on without an end in sight).

What happens to other basses in the WoT quiver, now that #1 is back in the fold?

I've got a pretty similar story to WoT's - last year I was reunited with the 78 P bass that I bought as a teenager and rashly sold in my mid-twenties when I discovered active basses. Never found a P bass that lived up to my original bass and last year got the chance to buy it back (for five times what I sold it for)! 

Picture from last night's gig.

20211112_180516.jpg

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, peteb said:

I've got a pretty similar story to WoT's - last year I was reunited with the 78 P bass that I bought as a teenager and rashly sold in my mid-twenties when I discovered active basses. Never found a P bass that lived up to my original bass and last year got the chance to buy it back (for five times what I sold it for)! 

Picture from last night's gig.

20211112_180516.jpg

Lovely... and what an amp, too!

On 12/11/2021 at 01:53, wateroftyne said:

The red's faded - the red is resplendent on the back and under the pickguard. My '71 fretless has done the same.

Not quite sure why some aren't affected. It's a strange one!

Pigments are funny things, where chemically the part that gives the paint its colour can be quite different between paints, even with two similar looking paints. There are tattoo colours that are notorious for fading with sun exposure more than others due to what goes into them to make them that colour. I suppose that the chemical makeup of the red paint that Fender used might have changed over time!

My early '80s P had the opposite - they hadn't bothered to spray the red where the pickguard would go, so it's a three-tone burst except for underneath the guard.

Brilliant story and big thumbs up to @Normski for making it happen.

• Thanks 1