Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass amp..... bag!

fretmeister

I do have to say though...

Darkglass and their sibling NeuralDSP do modern advertising and social media better than anyone else. For new amps / pedals / plugins they make sure their favourite demo youtubers have a unit in advance and they get a dozen videos ready for launch day, in many different styles.

There's been a few non-DG product launches over the last few months - like the Ashdown Guy Pratt amp / John Myung preamp / Geezer preamp - and yet there's still no demos.

Darkglass put more effort into a demo video for a bag than Ashdown - and others - do for a new amplifier.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Does make me wonder though how DG Tech21 and various other boutique pedal continue to get away with charging £250+ for fet circuits with generously £10 worth of components in them, its some kind of weird failure of the free market to bring the prices down.

Edited by bassman7755

9 hours ago, bassman7755 said:

Does make me wonder though how DG Tech21 and various other boutique pedal continue to get away with charging £250+ for fet circuits with generously £10 worth of components in them, its some kind of weird failure of the free market to bring the prices down.

It’s not just components used in it though, it’s R&D, premises, machines/equipment, staff wages etc etc. I think the Tech21 stuff is keenly priced, plus for the most part it’s bombproof, and DG stuff is well made with great customer service, although I agree they are on the pricier side 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bassman7755 said:

Interesting one. Would you say the same thing about an iPhone? 

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

It’s not just components used in it though, it’s R&D, premises, machines/equipment, staff wages etc etc. I think the Tech21 stuff is keenly priced, plus for the most part it’s bombproof, and DG stuff is well made with great customer service, although I agree they are on the pricier side 

The basic design of FET overdrive circuits dates back to the original Tech 21 sans amp released in the 80's, compare and contrast for example with a zoom muli effects pedal which needs thousands of hours of software development, analysis of modelled circuits etc, contains more expensive components (needs actual processing power) and sells for a fraction of the price ??. So no I don't buy the R&D cost and general business overheads argument.

Edited by bassman7755

2 hours ago, bassman7755 said:

The basic design of FET overdrive circuits dates back to the original Tech 21 sans amp released in the 80's, compare and contrast for example with a zoom muli effects pedal which needs thousands of hours of software development, analysis of modelled circuits etc, contains more expensive components (needs actual processing power) and sells for a fraction of the price ??. So no I don't buy the R&D cost and general business overheads argument.

But until you can actually review the overheads - the salary total, the building rent, the insurances, shipping, the electricity and increasingly world wide differences in compliance requirements you don't have anything to base it on.

I run a business, I know my overheads and I know the charging levels as with many / most other businesses the profit levels are far smaller than wild speculation would ever believe.

We can all say "Thing at £200 is really expensive" - but we can't say "Thing at £200 is a rip off" until we know whether it cost £5 to make and get it to the shop or £180 to get it into the shop.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bassman7755 said:

As an example - I am not sure I would call the Tech21 DP3X or the PSA 2.0 basic circuits - they are decently priced for what they do

A few years ago at the Bass Guitar Show I had a laugh about the price of the bag which was £90 then. I said that as it had memory foam padding in it you could use it as a pillow on the tour bus. 

However, at getting towards £200 for a bag, I honestly wonder what their costs and overheads could be to warrant such a ludicrous price. 

Does Nolly own one? Does the styling of the bag go with my 5 string Dingwall tuned in drop G? Does it have extra pockets to put a couple of other Darkglass pedals and a set of clippers so that you can still sound and look like Nolly? Does it come with a fake beard? These are questions we need answered.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

A few years ago at the Bass Guitar Show I had a laugh about the price of the bag which was £90 then. I said that as it had memory foam padding in it you could use it as a pillow on the tour bus. 

However, at getting towards £200 for a bag, I honestly wonder what their costs and overheads could be to warrant such a ludicrous price. 

Does Nolly own one? Does the styling of the bag go with my 5 string Dingwall tuned in drop G? Does it have extra pockets to put a couple of other Darkglass pedals and a set of clippers so that you can still sound and look like Nolly? Does it come with a fake beard? These are questions we need answered.

Darkglass don't make the bags, so I assume its the company they used, plus their usual merch overrider %? 

I'll be gutted if Darkglass release a "cheap" product.  It wouldn't be the same without a thread on Basschat complaining about how expensive the new Darkglass is...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kev said:

Darkglass don't make the bags, so I assume its the company they used, plus their usual merch overrider %? 

I'll be gutted if Darkglass release a "cheap" product.  It wouldn't be the same without a thread on Basschat complaining about how expensive the new Darkglass is...

So as darkglass don’t make this product, it’s not a thread about Darkglass being expensive technically is it 🥳🤓🤗

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

So as darkglass don’t make this product, it’s not a thread about Darkglass being expensive technically is it 🥳🤓🤗

They don't make the cabs either, but I remember threads about those too 🙃

6 hours ago, Kev said:

They don't make the cabs either, but I remember threads about those too 🙃

Aye they are very expensive, but, if they sound as good as they do on the Element (I haven’t played through one in the flesh) then they are very good.

Agreed with @Wolverinebass

Back to the bag, £200 is very top end I think everyone can agree. Lamanta make some beautiful stuff, but, this is standard.

i am sure it will be quality tho like most things made by/associated with DG