Why become a member? ×

Ampeg vs EBS

nbaptista

Unless your hearing is stuffed, and even then what you hear is what you hear.

Presumably you are a beginner? New around here anyway so welcome to the rabbit hole that is finding the ultimate rig to end all rigs quest. Back out now quietly while you still can or the g.a.s will get you.

Still here? Be aware that the sound of a 30w practice amp is a whole different ballgame to a rock'n'roll stage amp, although in some circles they are one and the same.

For home practice both are great options. I would also look at the Orange Crush 25 and the Fender Rumble 25 at the same pricepoint. 

The specs will largely be similar. 

The Ampeg has a three band EQ and some kind of 'grit' overdrive feature. 
The EBS has a two band EQ and an XLR out so you could conceivably hook it up to a PA for gigs or recording. 
The Orange is, orange, has a three band EQ and a cabinet simulation on the headphone out (so it might make playing via headphones more enjoyable)
The Fender has a three band EQ and an overdrive feature. 

Honestly, I don't think that you could go wrong with any them. Generally, I would go with the one that you think looks like the best. 

My nephew has the Orange one and I really like it, though my practice amp is 25 year old Park by Marshall 30 watt combo which barely works so I am easily impressed.

Search for the older Ampeg BA110 combo as they are very good for the money and home 

There is also a BA108 which has an 8” speaker which is also decent and low cost

The BA110 is the model the Rocket series just replaced so still a newish model but great value 

55 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

As a beginner, I'd go with your gut; choose the one which you're most excited by! They will both be a decent choice.

Very much this ^^^ You need to have something that makes you want to play.

Also :crigon_04:

Have you thought about practicing with headphones? I never practice out loud at home - always with headphones. If you get a suitable amp(combo or head) you can play along to stereo tracks in your headphones and adjust the mix between the bass and backing track. I use a fender rumble 150 head for that. It has a stereo aux in that I plug into my iPad. I also have a line 6 bass pod which I use for the same purpose as well as effects.

17 hours ago, nbaptista said:

yes, both are great. I think the EBS has the edge, with a more linear sound!

Go for it! If you want the Ampeg sound later down the line you can get close with effects pedals, so you're not missing out completely. 

Beginners today, eh? Spoilt for choice. Back in my day you got a dusty old Kustom 15w amp from under a pile of dead rats at the back of the shop.......

5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Go for it! If you want the Ampeg sound later down the line you can get close with effects pedals, so you're not missing out completely. 

This was my thought too, add a Behringer BD121 (or something from Tech21 if you’re feeling flush) and Robert’s your mother’s sibling.