Why become a member? ×

I am going to tune my short scale bass BEAD. Am I nuts?

BELA

I have just converted the only long scale 34" 4 string bass that I´ve got to BEAD tuning.

I do not use the upper registers that the G string offers that much and, on the other hand, I like the availabilty of the lower notes that the "extra string" provides me and I also like the less tension in the strings overall.

But the stretch in the lower frets is still the same so I was wondering if any of you use or have used that setting in a short scale bass (which is the scale I use the most).

Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, BELA said:

But the stretch in the lower frets is still the same so I was wondering if any of you use or have used that setting in a short scale bass (which is the scale I use the most). 

Not specifically a short scale 4 string BEAD, but I have a short scale 5 string as a BEADG and that is fine. That is on a 30" TM35

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Well string choice is going to have a major impact, obviously, but in the final analysis it's all about how it feels & plays as far as you are concerned.

I'll be interested to hear what you end up with.

I will be surely doing it, as I have 4 short scale 4 strings (not showing off), unless somebody says it is a no no.

How successful it is will depend on:

1. What the bass is and how it is constructed

2. How you play and what sort of bass tones your favour

3. What strings you currently use

4. How much time and effort you are willing to put in to changing/experimenting with your bass/technique/strings, if your first attempt doesn't yield the results you are after.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BELA said:

I have got one of those also. I like the neck a lot. How about you?

Its a good bass. String spacing is a little wide for me and the neck weight isn't great but it is really fun bass to play, and it sounds good gigged. I think it does need better pots though, I should do that!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BELA said:

I have just converted the only long scale 34" 4 string bass that I´ve got to BEAD tuning.

I do not use the upper registers that the G string offers that much and, on the other hand, I like the availabilty of the lower notes that the "extra string" provides me and I also like the less tension in the strings overall.

Thanks! 

I went this route the best part of 20 years ago with a Precision. It was a great move for me.

The band I was in at the time called for heavy downtuning or a B string. I’ve never been a fan of floppy downtuned strings and couldn’t get on with a 5 string at all at the time. New nut, bit of truss rod adjustment etc and a set of Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys and I never looked back. It’s still strung that way now, sounds like thunder and remained my main bass well after that band split up. Only isn’t now as I’ve shifted to shortys in my current band.

Not tried it yet with a s/s but it has crossed my mind.

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Thanks 1

Do experiment.

I bought a 4 string bass with really good but heavy gauge (50-110) strings. To overcome the crazy tension,  I dropped it to D standard (DGCF)

When I need EADG (and sometimes it's unavoidable as I need the "open" E), I use a capo on the second fret. 

Not exactly conventional, but it definitely works for me.

Try whatever you think might work for you.

There's nothing to lose.

• Thanks 1