Why become a member? ×

GR AT212 v Barefaced - One Cab Solution?

MattW

5 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Curious how people's experiences can differ so wildly. I bought an GR AT410+ a few months back and absolutely love it. Shame you had the issues you had as when they're 'issue free' they are fantastic bits of kit.

Yes such a shame. I was really looking forward to both cabs I bought. The speakers sounded great, really punchy. Cabs look great. If GR want a world beating cab they really need to improve design of securing feet and speaker chassis to their AeroTech carbon fibre cabs. They should also improve testing and quality control. In all my many years of playing I have never had to return consecutive products from the same manufacturer.  Ho hum.

7 hours ago, BassManGraham said:

Living in Ireland post Brexit means I have to pay extra VAT, customs duty on total price (including courier cost) plus handling charges. Which puts a big chunk on thr price and UK builders at a disadvantage. 

I tried GR due to relative ease of EU import, but wish I hadn't!  

The only way you would have paid VAT twice is if you bought from a UK shop too silly to export properly, or else they did export properly and ripped you off. Barefaced are well versed in exporting with no sales tax incurred until the destination country's customs clearance. Then that is between the importer and their govt.

If it's anything like NZ and UK you would have been charged Eire VAT on the export price and cost of shipping. On top of that, whatever clearance fee applied with your shipper. Maybe VAT on that fee as well?

On 20/01/2022 at 20:33, Downunderwonder said:

The only way you would have paid VAT twice is if you bought from a UK shop too silly to export properly, or else they did export properly and ripped you off. Barefaced are well versed in exporting with no sales tax incurred until the destination country's customs clearance. Then that is between the importer and their govt.

If it's anything like NZ and UK you would have been charged Eire VAT on the export price and cost of shipping. On top of that, whatever clearance fee applied with your shipper. Maybe VAT on that fee as well?

He said "extra VAT" - that might refer to the fact that Ireland's VAT rate is 23% and the UK's is 20%. When the UK was in the customs union, VAT would be charged at source, so he'd pay 20%, since Brexit he'd have to pay VAT at the Irish rate of 23% on importing the item.

2 minutes ago, tauzero said:

He said "extra VAT" - that might refer to the fact that Ireland's VAT rate is 23% and the UK's is 20%. When the UK was in the customs union, VAT would be charged at source, so he'd pay 20%, since Brexit he'd have to pay VAT at the Irish rate of 23% on importing the item.

Of variable rates of VAT across the EU I know nought. It would surprise me if imports from EU to Ireland had a different rate to stuff from anywhere else by the time it has reached market. It's the retailer doing the collection at the local rate. You're saying they gave up on 3% on Brit imports pre Brexit?

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Of variable rates of VAT across the EU I know nought. It would surprise me if imports from EU to Ireland had a different rate to stuff from anywhere else by the time it has reached market. It's the retailer doing the collection at the local rate. You're saying they gave up on 3% on Brit imports pre Brexit?

I thought it was charged at the rate applicable in the supplying country, but looking into it further, it's the rate applicable in the supplying country if the supplier has annual sales lower than 10 000 Euros, and in the country being supplied to if it's more. 

On 22/01/2022 at 00:56, tauzero said:

Yes exactly 3% extra VAT. UK VAT 20% taken off. IRISH VAT 23% added to gross cost including shipping. 10% import duty on total ( if over £135/€150) , plus handling charge of minimum €10. So its costs around 35% (15% more) on net cost of a cab that retails around a grand. NB I think this includes private preowned sales too the customs jobsworths are having a field day thanks to Brexshit! 

4 hours ago, BassManGraham said:

Yes exactly 3% extra VAT. UK VAT 20% taken off. IRISH VAT 23% added to gross cost including shipping. 10% import duty on total ( if over £135/€150) , plus handling charge of minimum €10. So its costs around 35% (15% more) on net cost of a cab that retails around a grand. NB I think this includes private preowned sales too the customs jobsworths are having a field day thanks to Brexshit! 

Your complaint is with your govt's 23%, not with UK ending your '3%' discount scheme. 

On 10/11/2021 at 17:27, SuperSeagull said:

Interesting. Have just bought (from here) a Rootmaster 500 and am planning to sell off my MB cmd12p and 121ny cab and replace with ideally one cab that covers the small enough to lug about easily but capable enough of running loud bases. I too would prefer a 4ohm option from that one cab.

Be sure to let me know if you list your MB rig. 👍

I am sure that te VAT rate charged within the EU was for the county of origin. For Example Germany has a 19% rate but Thomann shipments to the UK had 20% VAT. Of course in the EU you cannot change VAT downwards so thankfully once Brexit is done we can have 19% in the UK. Great, when will brexit be done?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I am sure that te VAT rate charged within the EU was for the county of origin. For Example Germany has a 19% rate but Thomann shipments to the UK had 20% VAT.

That's self contradicting.

Roghtly or wrongly the UK is now a foreign country in Europe wrt taxation and border controls at least. It's not that hard to get your head around. If only people would get basic facts understood then it would be done already already.

15 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

That's self contradicting.

Roghtly or wrongly the UK is now a foreign country in Europe wrt taxation and border controls at least. It's not that hard to get your head around. If only people would get basic facts understood then it would be done already already.

Agreed, a Third Country in EU parlance. My point is that VAT should always have her

charged at the buyer’s country’s VAT rate. So even when the UK was in the EU, Irish Customers should have paid the Irish rate levied at the time. 

The issue is with import duty. It is a while since I looked at the codes but I seem to remember that the UK levied 1% Import duty. 

With respect to Brexit, it woukd have been far from over by now whatever UK citizens did or did not do. The final official changes to import/export regulations do not take place until July 2021. 

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Does the OP need a tweeter?

I'm using an RM800evo2 with a BF Supertwin and it sounds great. The ST is a fair bit smaller than the BT2 and lighter.

That could certainly be an option, although I do like to have a tweeter if it's available.

Tbh I've moved on from the idea of the GR cab for now or indeed using a single cab for everything.  I've actually sold both my Barefaced and used the proceeds to fund some IEM's as my main band have moved in that direction. 

For when I need cabs for deps and other part time projects I've picked up a cheap really RM610 on here for the very rare big stages (certainly don't want to use that everyday but sounds monstrous!).  I also got a lightweight 4ohm 1200w Purple Chilli 410 for medium venues, and then have an Ashdown RM112T on the way for rehearsals and small venues.  To be fair the Purple Chilli could cover all those scenarios, but nice to have options!

Financially I bought all three of those cabs for less than what I sold the single BB for, and the sale of the BT2 covered the IEM's and a Ashdown OriginAL valve DI, so for now I am pretty well set!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have to say this, in my 25 years of playing I've never heard a cab as Barefaced to be all over the stage, I just sound perfect wherever you are on stage, as for other that I played if you stand 1.5 meters away from cab the sound is gone... Barefaced just rules with dispersion of the sound.

But never tried GR cabs, just their amps that are really nice.

• Like 2