Why become a member? ×

ACG Über spec 6 string Recurve bass

Devers95

Put a deposit down on a build a few weeks ago. Due about 10 months from now. Heres the topwood, a resin hybrid buckeye burl top. Ignore the shape currently drawn on, its going to be a recurve 6er! Not sure how often Alan tends to send updates but Ill try to remember to keep this up to date. Any questions do ask! 

received_136211398721985.jpeg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, eude said:

That is going to be stunning!

What's the rest of the specs on it?

Specs below!

Model Uber Recurve Strings/Scale 6/34 Body core Alder Top/veneer Hybrid Buckeye Burl black veneer Neck woods 5 piece Maple/Bubinga bolt on F/B wood A I Maple No5 Radius 30” Side dots Luminlay Black/Blue Head plate/V Hybrid Buckeye Burl black veneer Back plate/V Alder black veneer Bridge ACG/Hipshot bridge 18mm spacing Pre-amp DFM 4K B Series any combination. MC6 9 volt Yes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devers95 said:

Specs below!

Model Uber Recurve Strings/Scale 6/34 Body core Alder Top/veneer Hybrid Buckeye Burl black veneer Neck woods 5 piece Maple/Bubinga bolt on F/B wood A I Maple No5 Radius 30” Side dots Luminlay Black/Blue Head plate/V Hybrid Buckeye Burl black veneer Back plate/V Alder black veneer Bridge ACG/Hipshot bridge 18mm spacing Pre-amp DFM 4K B Series any combination. MC6 9 volt Yes

Very nice.

18 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Daaaaaaang son. Looks epic, and somewhat familiar... Here's my ACG 6er that was delivered earlier this year. 

20210216_112354.thumb.jpg.1b870bc16ae11517220e787e039dbbd0.jpg

Hiya mate, yours basically inspired mine. I went through multiple ideas for tops before I asked about one a resin hybrid top. I wanted one with resin at the base of the body similiar to yours. Almost went for the inlays like yours too but Im sticking to a blank fretboard like my Zon. Excited to see it progress! How long did yours take? Ive been told approx 10 months. 

My one was actually a bass that Alan was building for the NAMM show last year that never materialised due to COVID so I had a chat with him and snagged it midway through build. The one I ordered as a full customer build from Alan the year before took about 10 months all in. 

From my own personal experience, I much prefer some kind of position marker on the fretboard, it just makes navigating the fretboard far more pleasant than having to concentrate on your position like on an unmarked board. Plus, with the buckeye/resin off cuts from that top you could get some cracking position markers out of it! 

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

My one was actually a bass that Alan was building for the NAMM show last year that never materialised due to COVID so I had a chat with him and snagged it midway through build. The one I ordered as a full customer build from Alan the year before took about 10 months all in. 

From my own personal experience, I much prefer some kind of position marker on the fretboard, it just makes navigating the fretboard far more pleasant than having to concentrate on your position like on an unmarked board. Plus, with the buckeye/resin off cuts from that top you could get some cracking position markers out of it! 

I am very tempted...i might have to text Alan tomorrow r.e fretmarkers. 

17 hours ago, binky_bass said:

In my personal opinion you'll potentially regret not getting the fret markers, but wouldn't regret getting them if you got them! 

Just contacted Alan. Ive gone for black/blue luminlay dot inlays instead. That should be everything sorted now. Waiting game begins!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Good call! 

If it helps visualise, my latest build (that's maybe a month away from completion) has triple dots on the 12th and 24th fret, I think it suits the width of a 6 string neck over the usual 2 dots. 

Screenshot_20211011-160514_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.ca516812be53cab9ee671088e8f49e96.jpg

Ive been loving this bass. Just asked about the triple dots too, very good point. Love the colours there too!

19 hours ago, binky_bass said:

In my personal opinion you'll potentially regret not getting the fret markers, but wouldn't regret getting them if you got them! 

Why is that? My most commonly used basses don't have fret markers, and I don't notice, because I never look at the fretboard when I am playing, just the top side of the neck so I only see the fretmarkers when I am not playing, when it doesn't really matter. Or is it just for asthetic reasons?

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Why is that? My most commonly used basses don't have fret markers, and I don't notice, because I never look at the fretboard when I am playing, just the top side of the neck so I only see the fretmarkers when I am not playing, when it doesn't really matter. Or is it just for asthetic reasons?

Purley based on personal opinion. My first custom ACG only has side markers, and when playing complex chordal or tapping sections, especially down passed the 12th fret, having fret markers makes playing much easier. When you're tapping/chording passed the 12th fret on a 6 string neck I tend to find my eyes line of sight skewes where the side marker is vs reality so my hands are often 1 fret passed where my visual perception of the fret marker is. You don't get that visual skewe from front inlays on a 6 string when playing in those positions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Better illustrated here... The red line is my visual line of sight, the side marker appears one fret forward forward of the true position. I added the stickey Abalone dots to counter this and it makes playing much more enjoyable.

I guess my head must adjust for that, but also my angle is a lot shallower (ie, I am lookng more at the edge and feeling across). But enjoyment is what it is about so it is what works for everyone. I know I couldn't cope without the front marks on my chapman stick (as I have just put them back in), but then that has a lack of well, side, let alone side dots!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...