Why become a member? ×

Bowie's Bassists - Tony Visconti

Jonesy

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

In much the same way as Zappa changed his band many times, so did Bowie. I totally get it. A different set of musicians gives a completely different sound. I also think that at the time of recording, getting the big names in for blocks of studios time (Visconti being the exception) wasn’t what was working for DB given his deteriorating health. 

Ah makes sense I guess seeing as time was against him. I gave Low a listen today too and liked the playing there. The Berlin trilogy are the 3 albums I had origianlly listened to completely. Thinking about it, that's wrong as I also own Let's Dance, so that makes 4 albums from his catalogue!

Have you got any other live albums you'd suggest giving a go?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jonesy said:

...I haven't listened to loads of Bowie and I've listened to even less of Bowie live...

I wouldn't class myself as a Bowie "fan" but you really should listen to George Murrays playing on the "Stage" album. Him & Dennis Davis are one of my favourite rhythm sections of all time. The version of "Stay" on that album is jaw-droppingly good.

The whole band on that album is just incredible, one of the best ever assembled IMO.

• Like 2

Jonesy, The BBC Theatre Live album is well worth tracking down. This is the version of 'Stay' that blows me away. Whole band is super tight but Gail Ann Dorsey is more on the money than the Queen's face. David certainly seems to think so at 2:35.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrypF said:

Jonesy, The BBC Theatre Live album is well worth tracking down. This is the version of 'Stay' that blows me away. Whole band is super tight but Gail Ann Dorsey is more on the money than the Queen's face. David certainly seems to think so at 2:35.

The soon to be released Brilliant Adventure boxed set has an expanded version of the standard BBC disc from this gig.

23 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I love Carmine Rojas' playing on the Let's Dance album. To me that's ultimate Bowie Bass playing. 

My first proper case of GAS was after seeing Carmine Rojas play an ESP P/J bass on the Serious Moonlight tour. Up to that point I’d not seen a P/J configuration before. It was an amazing looking/sounding bass - with body, neck and headstock all finished in the same colour (black, I think). I think Earl Slick had the six string equivalent.

Carmine Rojas also appeared with Nona Hendryx on Channel 4’s The Tube using the same bass a few years later. He also played with a pick, which I thought was pretty cool.

• Like 2

I'll throw this particularly fine version of Boys Keep Swinging into the mix.

A smattering of guitar weirdness from Gabrels alongside a splendid Alomar.

I've always liked Zach's take on the drum parts, although if push comes to shove, I'll take Sterling Campbell over Alford.

Dorsey on bass for this one. Love it.

The whole gig is available as audio only on You Tube. Search for "Bowie White Room '95".

On 10/11/2021 at 15:06, RhysP said:

I wouldn't class myself as a Bowie "fan" but you really should listen to George Murrays playing on the "Stage" album. Him & Dennis Davis are one of my favourite rhythm sections of all time. The version of "Stay" on that album is jaw-droppingly good.

The whole band on that album is just incredible, one of the best ever assembled IMO.

I do love BC for the endless recommendations and for being a deep pool of knowledge! There are a lot of great suggestions from everyone and I'm working my through them.

I'm near the end of disc 1 of stage and the versions of The Jean Genie & Speed of Life have been the standouts so far. Looking forward to hearing Stay!

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 23:05, paulbuzz said:

For live versions of Stay, this is the one that does it for me. The end section is really cooking on gas.

Before starting this thread I didn't know this Bowie tune, but it's an absolute cracker. 3 great versions of it so far, but I think this one is my favourite.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. On to White Room 95 next 😃

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 23:05, paulbuzz said:

For live versions of Stay, this is the one that does it for me. The end section is really cooking on gas.

I have never heard this version! I know Earl Slick was on the album but that guitar sounds awfully like Adrian Belew to me.

I've always been a Trevor Bolder fan so i'm a bit biased towards that era of Bowie.

Always thought Man Who Sold as having a completely different vibe (that i really liked) from his other albums of that era.

I've heard Gail and Tony Visconti on seperate non Bowie vids and was very impressed by them.

Afraid i drifted away from Bowie as he moved in 80's and didnt return to his albums until Blackstar. I liked occasional singles from albums but just couldn't get ito the albums. 

Dave 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Afraid i drifted away from Bowie as he moved in 80's and didnt return to his albums until Blackstar. I liked occasional singles from albums but just couldn't get ito the albums. 

Dave 

Dave, you've just reminded me of one of my favourite later Bowie tracks. I always love playing this one. In fact the whole Heathen album is excellent IMHO with '5:15 The Angels Have Gone' and 'Everyone Says Hi' being favourites.

• Like 1

Its a good song and well played but when i analyse why i went off Bowie i tend to narrow it down to the fact there are too many musicians / instruments playing at same time. Its obviously personal taste and i know a lot of people that prefer Bowie's later albums from mid 80's.

I liked the simplicity of singer, guitar, bass and drums and maybe a bit of keys now and again. 

I got into Bowie in Ziggy days so it definitely influences my choice of albums. Last one i bought (before Blackstar) was Station to Station and altho i really liked it when i bought it i've very rarely played it since.

One song i really love from Bowie and my apologies for digressing from the OP original question on Bowie Bassists is Where Are We Now but i think the Vid helps make that song a hit for me.

Dave

• Like 2