Why become a member? ×

Dual Gig Bags

bluedoughboy

I’ve wanted a dual bag for a minute now and have a bit of disposable to buy one. Thomann have put the prices  on the Mono M80 down to the lowest I’ve ever seen them at £189 and they have completed sold out. They are £270 at GAK but the Gator double is only £120. Has anyone used either of these to make a comparison or have other double cases they’d recommend?

• Like 1

Following…I’m in a similar situation, I do use a dual bass gig bag,a Warwick Rockbag which I’ve had for about 10 years now?
It’s done me proud, but the zips are starting to go..

I’ve been looking at both the Mono (Pricey, Less storage) & the Gator (5kg empty!) as a replacement..

I’m really tempted by the fusion urban dual gig bag. It’s got mouldable foam inside so you kind of shape it to the bass, plus it has a neck cushion with a Velcro wrap to hold it in place. I think if I go expensive I’d pick this over the mono-it’s a similar price but offers more. If I go cheaper I think I’ll get the gator-you can buy two gators for the cost of the fusion!

I have a Gator Pro single bass gig bag and am very happy with it. Not just for carrying and protection but also the pockets are really well sorted. There is also a waterproof cover that is hidden away but useful if you get caught in the rain.

Never tried the dual gig bag, however.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluedoughboy said:

I’ve wanted a dual bag for a minute now and have a bit of disposable to buy one. Thomann have put the prices  on the Mono M80 down to the lowest I’ve ever seen them at £189 and they have completed sold out. They are £270 at GAK but the Gator double is only £120. Has anyone used either of these to make a comparison or have other double cases they’d recommend?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393629991921?hash=item5ba62d03f1:g:gfUAAOSwiP5hNnSS

• Like 2

The mono M80 dual case is more expensive than the Gator Double but it’s significantly less bulky. If you just want a well-protected double case and space/size/weight isn’t an issue then the Gator is a great option for a very reasonable price. If you’ll be carrying the thing then I’d highly recommend the Mono. Photo below for thickness reference:

D24A4E23-D22B-4E53-B3A6-913C7F464793.thumb.jpeg.ea8f11c4ecdc6035a0effcc9ece06462.jpeg
Gator on the left, Mono on the right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the single and dual versions of the Gator case, one in use and one up in the loft at any time.  I go through cycles of using the dual case, then getting fed up because it’s so heavy and reverting to the single case, then feeling bad that I’m not taking a spare bass to gigs and going back to the dual.

To put it in context, I’ve just weighed it with its current contents - a couple of nine pound basses, lead, iPad, strap, clip on tuner and earplugs (don’t think the last two are adding much weight!).  It’s 14Kg loaded like that, so not always the easiest of things to carry/get into the back seat of the car, etc.  I wouldn’t try putting it on my back and carrying any distance.

They are excellent cases though, and offer plenty of protection.  My only gripe is that the padding in the handles seems to separate making them slightly uncomfortable - it’s happened on both mine.

• Thanks 1