Why become a member? ×

Thomann - the good & the less so

Al Krow

Great retailer, great value, fantastic range of bass gear.

But boy are refunds now taking a LONG time! Courier collected an item exactly one month back with a delivery address to a warehouse in Bury St Edmunds. Should take no more than a few days tops to get there. They then ship it back to Germany - over which we have no input into or sight of what is happening. One month on they state that the item is likely still in Customs checks and they have no idea where it currently is and ask me for tracking on their courier they have booked (which obviously I don't have any details of or ability to track myself). Ugh! 

So if you are returning stuff to Thomann worth bearing in mind it may take MUCH longer than it used to to get a refund. 

Shame - I've only had good experiences with Thomann over the years, but this issue with returns is not great and is making me rethink about switching to UK retailers, unless I've previously bought the item from Thomann and I therefore know 100% I will want to keep it but also only if the likelihood of it being damaged in transit / their storeroom (which was the case with a B-stock item I recently bought from them).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Tbf to Thomann, this sounds like a shipping issue rather than anything they are doing. It's the same with virtually any overseas online seller. People go for those low, low prices and wonder why back-up and assistance is not as instant as it would be from the shop down the road. You can't have your cake and eat it.

• Like 2

Had similar... after several emails pointing out the issue is out of my hand to track and the box was returned unopened... I got the refund... another month or so later an email saying the return had arrived... twas only £120ish and on the CC so easy...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, owen said:

Ban me!

Thats a really selfish attitude.

I couldn't care less about politics and don't want to hear it from either direction, and one of the nice things about this forum is that it is supposed to be a poltics free zone. 

This kind of petty political sniping and points scoring ruins it for people that just want to read about or discuss the topic at hand.

Import/export issues are what they are, and it should be enough for grown adults to leave it there instead of mentioning politics.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I couldn't care less about politics and don't want to hear it from either direction, and one of the nice things about this forum is that it is supposed to be a poltics free zone. 

This kind of petty political sniping and points scoring ruins it for people that just want to read about or discuss the topic at hand.

Import/export issues are what they are, and it should be enough for grown adults to leave it there instead of mentioning politics.

Truth hurts. 

You don't know what you voted for... 

• Like 4

Politics aside, it’s now basically the same to return goods inside Europe as it has always been outside Europe. I’ve bought a few instruments from the US, for example, but each time it was quite a risk, and on the basis that if I didn’t like it I’d have to take the hit and sell it in the UK, because returning it would either result in a very long wait for a refund - or no refund at all. 

We are where we are, so I’ve decided only to purchase from the UK from now on. Most of the time it’s next day delivery, you have distance selling laws to back up an easy return if you don’t like it, and the shop should be capable of dealing with any issues along the way. My only concerns are that with relatively few shops in the UK selling basses, choice will suffer, and it’s more likely that a monopoly will result in significantly higher prices.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

inseparable

Sure it's separable, by simply not stirring it up!

The discussion is onne of many about making ones way in the new world of a customs border between the UK and the non UK.  It's totally not difficult to avoid bringing in the political history that lead to the new situation.

1 hour ago, Bassfinger said:

Its not politics, its just a fact of life now. It used to be simple, we voted to disconnect from the outside world and now things don't work well. 

This delay is hardly hardly thommans fault this delay, it was our choice, and they are making the best of a bad situation, a lot of companies no longer deal with us, but they still do.

We can try and pretend there is another reason but their isn't.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

You don't know what you voted for... 

If you want to convince others that rejoining the EU is a good thing, complaining that your musical instruments and accessories now take longer and are harder to return is perhaps not a compelling place to start. As you say, you don't know what people voted for.

I won't comment any furthur on this thread: no good will come of it.

I've never had to do a return to Thomann but this shipping issue doesn't surprise me, sadly. I've got a cab coming from Musik Produktiv that's stuck waiting for clearance, whereas a separate order I had with them came in just a few days. It's not the retailer's fault, it's in the hands of the shipping company and various customs processes.

I'd love to only buy from UK Retailers but take the example of the Sire V7. I really like buying from Anderson's and they're the UK importer. However, a left handed V7 on Anderson's, when in stock, costs £489. The in stock date keeps moving out, so I could pre order and wait and wait. On Thomann, it's actually in stock right now and costs £389. I'd love to buy in the UK to support local jobs and businesses, reduce carbon footprint of boxes flying all over the world, easier returns process.... But £100 difference is too much. 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I've never had to do a return to Thomann but this shipping issue doesn't surprise me, sadly. I've got a cab coming from Musik Produktiv that's stuck waiting for clearance, whereas a separate order I had with them came in just a few days. It's not the retailer's fault, it's in the hands of the shipping company and various customs processes.

I'd love to only buy from UK Retailers but take the example of the Sire V7. I really like buying from Anderson's and they're the UK importer. However, a left handed V7 on Anderson's, when in stock, costs £489. The in stock date keeps moving out, so I could pre order and wait and wait. On Thomann, it's actually in stock right now and costs £389. I'd love to buy in the UK to support local jobs and businesses, reduce carbon footprint of boxes flying all over the world, easier returns process.... But £100 difference is too much. 

Where it's stuff that you definitely know you're not going to return then it totally makes sense not to exclude overseas retailers.

I think where there's a risk that you might not like the item or of it being damaged (e.g. like this headstock of a bass I bought from Thomann recently, which was damaged instore before being sent out rather than in transit as the packaging was fine), then it's just good to be aware that it can take much longer to get your money back or a replacement - and put that into the mix when making a buying decision.

931714002_Marquessheadstockdamage.thumb.png.018ce017abfd8277286c31113165585b.png

I'll certainly still be getting my favourite bass straps from Thomann - they've been some of the best bits of kit I've bought over the past 12 months - made some of my heavier basses so much more comfortable to play over a couple of hours and hopefully very little chance of getting damaged en-route.

Edited by Al Krow

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Where it's stuff that you definitely know you're not going to return then it totally makes sense not to exclude overseas retailers.

I think where there's a risk that you might not like the item or of it being damaged (e.g. like this headstock of a bass I bought from Thomann recently, which was damaged instore before being sent out rather than in transit as the packaging was fine), then it's just good to be aware that it can take much longer to get your money back - and put that into the mix when making a buying decision.

931714002_Marquessheadstockdamage.thumb.png.018ce017abfd8277286c31113165585b.png

I'll certainly still be getting my favourite bass straps from Thomann - they've been some of the best bits of kit I've bought over the past 12 months - made some of my heavier basses so much more comfortable to play over a couple of hours and hopefully very little chance of getting damaged en-route.

Ouch. That's not good.

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Is that ever the case?

Oh that is a bit poor!

Sometimes - e.g. the 11.0cm 4.3" straps I mentioned which I've only found on Thomann. Bloomin' marvellous and a gig game-changer for me!

4 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Ouch. That's not good.

Yeah it was a real shame, particularly as the replacement bass they sent (which also took much chasing and gnashing of teeth on my part!) was heavier than this original one. 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

import / export is politics. Vat / taxation is politics.

Every single thing that is subject to rules and regulations is politics.

Even the very existence of this forum is subject to regulation set by politicians.

It cannot be avoided.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

import / export is politics. Vat / taxation is politics.

Every single thing that is subject to rules and regulations is politics.

Even the very existence of this forum is subject to regulation set by politicians.

It cannot be avoided.

Rules is rules. Get over it, ship the stuff and pay the tax. No need to bring the politics into any of it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Rules is rules. Get over it, ship the stuff and pay the tax. No need to bring the politics into any of it.

Who set the rules?

Oh yeah. Politicians.

And if the rules need to change - what would be the process?

Politics.

"I don't do politics" is acceptance of a situation and passive support of the status quo.

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 2

I suspect it’s due to the VAT. Thomann are now registered for UK VAT, there’s obviously paperwork now that will need to be processed in customs - I’m guessing our customs? This wasn’t there prior to a certain event happening.

He says, pleased that he managed an explanation without mentioning Brexit.

• Like 1

Just received an email from them 24 hours after chasing them and initially being fobbed off with a sob-story about Customs delays, saying: "Dear customer, we received back your return and it will be processed as soon as possible..."

I guess all's well that end's well, but it's a bit odd that it's taken me having to chase them up for them to realise that they have the item back! Ah well, maybe there's something useful in this for other readers of this thread, if they find themselves in similar circs.

Edited by Al Krow