Why become a member? ×

Respray. With what?

Skinnyman

I am planning to strip an old SGC Nanyo bass back to the wood and respray it.

Is there any particular type of paint I should use? Or avoid?

I’m after a metallic finish (Candy Apple Red) with a gold sparkle (I didn’t say this was going to be tasteful). Can I use automotive rattle cans?

I assume I’ll need to use a primer coat? Again, any particular type?

Ta

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

I am planning to strip an old SGC Nanyo bass back to the wood and respray it.

Do you really need to strip it? Stripping a poly finish is a bastard. If you're doing a solid colour you could spray over the existing finish. Before you do, fill any dings, flat the surface down nicely and clean with de-natured alcohol before spraying.

Is there any particular type of paint I should use? Or avoid?

Household emulsion probably not ideal. Poly or nitro will work. Poly's easier, nitro's nicer to look at and to touch (but expensive, slightly more difficult to source and it takes longer to do the job).

Can I use automotive rattle cans?

Yes you may use Halfords' rattle cans. Buy one of those rattle-can handles. They only cost about a fiver, comfortable to use and they give you much more control when 'sweeping' and working round curves.

spray-grip-pistoolgreep-voor-spuitbus-1.jpg

I assume I’ll need to use a primer coat? Again, any particular type?

Not necessarily but it's always a good idea if the new colour's going to be lighter than the old finish. Loose rule: light top colour, light coloured primer / dark top, darker primer.

Use a spray poly primer whether it's a poly top or a nitro top coat. Rule: Nitro over poly, not the other way round. Flat down with progressive grades until its nice and smooth, then clean everywhere including the cavities (use a vacuum cleaner for the inaccessible harness runs). Spray in a room at average temperature. Freezing cold garage not ideal.

When the paint's hard you may wish to overspray with a clear top coat. When that's done, lightly flat it out with very light grade paper then finish with a rotary buffer and Meguiar's anti-scratch polish (it's f__king awesome for getting a mirror finish).

Look up some 'refinishing a guitar' vids on YT and plan your steps in order.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Do you really need to strip it? Stripping a poly finish is a bastard. If you're doing a solid colour you could spray over the existing finish. Before you do, fill any dings, flat the surface down nicely and clean with de-natured alcohol before spraying.

Household emulsion probably not ideal. Poly or nitro will work. Poly's easier, nitro's nicer to look at and to touch (but expensive, slightly more difficult to source and it takes longer to do the job).

Yes you may use Halfords' rattle cans. Buy one of those rattle-can handles. They only cost about a fiver, comfortable to use and they give you much more control when 'sweeping' and working round curves.

spray-grip-pistoolgreep-voor-spuitbus-1.jpg

Not necessarily but it's always a good idea if the new colour's going to be lighter than the old finish. Loose rule: light top colour, light coloured primer / dark top, darker primer.

Use a spray poly primer whether it's a poly top or a nitro top coat. Rule: Nitro over poly, not the other way round. Flat down with progressive grades until its nice and smooth, then clean everywhere including the cavities (use a vacuum cleaner for the inaccessible harness runs). Spray in a room at average temperature. Freezing cold garage not ideal.

When the paint's hard you may wish to overspray with a clear top coat. When that's done, lightly flat it out with very light grade paper then finish with a rotary buffer and Meguiar's anti-scratch polish (it's f__king awesome for getting a mirror finish).

Look up some 'refinishing a guitar' vids on YT and plan your steps in order.

Just the info I needed, thanks.

Given that I’m the least ept person I know, I think even I should be able to manage this.

Famous last words….

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

I used Montana Gold paint, mainly aimed at Graffitti/Street art but gave me a lovely matte colour. 

They do loads of colours, as well as sparkle coats etc and are reasonably cheap. 

681767274_PXL_20200806_163729295.PORTRAIT-01.COVER2-01.thumb.jpeg.b7dfb9c8727b4206779d692674524341.jpeg

I would get your money back, that isn't a very good gold colour at all!

• Haha 1