Why become a member? ×

Your favourite 2021 album release

SteveXFR

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

You wouldn't have thought there was all this great new music in rock and metal judging by the bands nominated for the Grammys...

Foo Fighters nominated yet again? Zzzz. 

They're one of those bands (and there are quite a few) that everyone seems to love but just don't do anything for me.

I do have a lot of time for dave Grohl though, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

They have some great tunes but they've never made a great album, they're all at least half filler.

My brother has always maintained that the best Foo Fighter's album is...The Best of The Foo Fighters. Regards music, he's right on this one occasion.

I like Grohl, his sheer enthusiasm for music is great, but regards the Foos, they're ok, I couldn't listen to a whole album.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

My brother has always maintained that the best Foo Fighter's album is...The Best of The Foo Fighters. Regards music, he's right on this one occasion.

I like Grohl, his sheer enthusiasm for music is great, but regards the Foos, they're ok, I couldn't listen to a whole album.

I think they're the only band whose best album is their greatest hits (except maybe Queen). None of their albums sounds like one piece of work. None of them have a specific sound. If I hear a QOTSA, Tool, Mastadon or Raconteurs song I can instantly tell which album it's from by the overall sound but Foo Fighters albums have no theme or specific sound.

They are a great rock band and I have a lot of respect for him.

Edited by SteveXFR
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Agreed and I for one think the foos are really overrated 

They have a couple of good tunes 

Out of 11 albums I'd say 3 or 4 are good the rest being very patchy. IMO the best is CD1 (the rawk stuff) of In Your Honour. The acoustic side is a bit so-so.

On the subject of double albums I've given the Mastodon one a couple of listens..but nah. It's not doing it for me, much like their other highly rated albums. The only two I've got much time for are The Hunter and Once More Round the Sun, which seem to come in for a lot of a slagging off from the fanboys for being too mainstream and not proggy enough.

Always get grief for buying CDs and then not wanting anything for Christmas, so most of them are on my list this year so will have to report back in the new year. From what I've heard on the radio I think Little Simz is the leading contender at the moment.

Great year for new music to my ears.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

I've been very impressed with the new Carcass album - Torn Arterie, as well as the new Dream Theater one this year

How you write an album as good as Torn Arteries 30+ years into your career is beyond me

I bought it, listened to it three times and cannot remember a single thing off Torn Arteries and will probably never listen to it again, which is a shame because I thought Surgical Steel was really good. Mastodon was ok but nothing incredible, Helloween was ok but nothing incredible.

Ascension Codes by Cynic, which came out last week, is one of the few releases which has really captivated me. It's a very interesting piece of work.

It has been a fairly weak year for the heavy stuff, in my opinion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I bought it, listened to it three times and cannot remember a single thing off Torn Arteries and will probably never listen to it again, which is a shame because I thought Surgical Steel was really good. Mastodon was ok but nothing incredible, Helloween was ok but nothing incredible.

Ascension Codes by Cynic, which came out last week, is one of the few releases which has really captivated me. It's a very interesting piece of work.

It has been a fairly weak year for the heavy stuff, in my opinion.

I've not heard the Cynic yet, will give it a go.

I'd strongly recommend the new albums by Urne if you're into heavy stuff

• Like 2

On 01/12/2021 at 19:48, Marvin said:

Same here, I find their albums too sanitised, it’s Uber clean production which is ok for a track or two but not a whole album. Whereas live their sound is great, can happily watch a concert of theirs on TV, and actually live I thought they were great.

Edited by Lozz196

• 1 month later...