Why become a member? ×

Your favourite 2021 album release

SteveXFR

• 2 weeks later...

Two favourites for me. 
Ayron Jones’ debut(ish) album, Child of the State - my favourite new thing to come out of Seattle since the 90’s (and boy do I love me some Seattle music!)

And Jerry Cantrell, lead guitarist of Alice in Chains’ new solo album Brighten

I’m going to have a listen to the other suggestions in the thread this afternoon!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harps said:

Two favourites for me. 
Ayron Jones’ debut(ish) album, Child of the State - my favourite new thing to come out of Seattle since the 90’s (and boy do I love me some Seattle music!)

And Jerry Cantrell, lead guitarist of Alice in Chains’ new solo album Brighten

I’m going to have a listen to the other suggestions in the thread this afternoon!

Never heard of Ayron Jones before but I'll sure be checking out some more. I too am a massive fan of the Seattle sound of late 80s-90s. Hew reminds me a bit of Filter

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 18:13, NancyJohnson said:

I'm kind of with @Richhere.

Curiously, it's been more a case of discovering long dead punk/indie (Fighting With Wire/Fortune Drive), purchasing a handful of reissues (Garbage/Wildhearts) and finding comfort from old material.

Absolutely bloody love Fighting With Wire. Two great albums. Such a shame what happened with the release of the second one. Have you checked out Jetplane Landing? Cahir from FWW played guitar for them from their second album onwards, and Craig from FWW is on drums for the final album. All recently disappeared from Spotify when their record label shut up shop, but well worth tracking down. 

On 09/11/2021 at 07:40, xgsjx said:

I'm looking forward to Silk Sonic's album coming out on Friday...

Been on heavy rotation for me all week. Absolutely brilliant. 

• Like 1

My current top 10 of 2021

10. Zao - The Crimson Corridor

9. The Armed - Ultrapop

8. Bossk - Migration

7. Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power

6. Urne - Serpent & Spirit

5. Dreamwell - Modern Grotesque

4. Pupil Slicer - Mirrors

3. AFI - Bodies

2. Lingua Ignota - Sinner Get Ready

1. Converge & Chelsea Wolfe - Blood Moon: I

• Like 1

Adele – 30 was one of my most anticipated album releases for the year, but...

As someone who fell in love with Adele’s huge song writing and vocal skills on her first two albums, 19 and 21, which were both rightly regarded as both being fantastic, I, together with millions of her fans, was very much looking forward to her latest offering.

Thoughts? Well she has well and truly discovered the ‘40s – no not her fifth decade when we will no doubt get 40 and 45 from her, but the 1940s. It’s just that a lot of wonderful artists got there a long time ago and did it so much better! I felt that 30 was lethargic throughout and a lyrically lame emulation of writers such as Cohen and Dylan which, in contrast, she did superbly with her beautiful cover of “Make you feel my love” on 19. But then those words were actually Dylan’s not hers.

It’s a really interesting question as to who popular albums are written for: the artist or their audience? The answer, I guess, must be “both”. 30 felt as though it was catharsis for Adele’s own emotional journey rather than one she was particularly bothered about taking her myriad of fans with her on. But there again she’s a global superstar and I’m just an average Joe, so that’s surely her prerogative.

Was it worth a 5 year wait for this latest album? Certainly not for me and it may struggle to get a second play in the Krow household although, no doubt, it will shoot to the top of the 2021 best seller list.

For me it is between: 

Mastodon - Hushed and Grim - decidedly less 'metal' than previous efforts, but I really like it. Not every track is a winner but I think that the album flows really well and it is their most cohesive album in years.  At this point this is about as 'mainstream' as I can go with modern rock and metal in terms of production.  
Green Lung - Black Harvest - London based Sabbath retro rock with a guitarist who loves Brian May. My favourite tracks are actually the more folk-influenced tracks.
Boss Keloid - Family the Smiling Thrush - love this band, elements of heavy doom, English folk, 70s prog. Gutted I missed them on tour. 

I am conscious that my listening tastes are 'limited' to heavy rock/metal. However, after spending 20 plus years of ensuring that I listen to every genre possible I really don't have the time to continue to do so with work and family commitments, so I really haven't listened to many albums this year.

On 09/11/2021 at 12:34, fretmeister said:

I think there's 2 that have really stood out for me.

Dead Daisies - Holy Ground

and Cory Wong's Paisley Park Sessions with Sonny T on bass.

TBH I've only bought a few 2021 releases so far, and several of them have involved Cory Wong.

Wildhearts '21st Century Love Songs' gets an honourable mention though.

That Like is for the Cory Wong vid. Like that way more than anything I've seen him in with Vulfpeck and that band with the bassist who looks a bit like Siouxsie.

8 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Agreed and I for one think the foos are really overrated 

They have a couple of good tunes 

They have some great tunes but they've never made a great album, they're all at least half filler. I've seen them live a few times and they've got an excellent hour and a half set but unfortunately they drag it out for another hour on top of that.

I'm a big fan of everything Dave Grohl has done away from the Foos. Nirvana, QOTSA, Killing Joke, Probot and Them Crooked Vultures were all brilliant. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm a big fan of everything Dave Grohl has done away from the Foos. Nirvana, QOTSA, Killing Joke, Probot and Them Crooked Vultures were all brilliant. 

And who could forget “the devil” in the film pick of destiny 😄