Why become a member? ×

What's in your rack?

AinsleyWalker

Hi all,

Interested to see what people are using in their racks, whether in a recording/studio setup or a live rig!

I've always had a rack amp unit but no other units and there's a few I may go for in the future, for recording purposes rather than live. 

Edited by AinsleyWalker
spelling error

MacBook Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen, ART DTI – Dual Transformer/Isolator, PSUs, 1U patch panel to put all the connections to external gear on XLR connectors on the front of the rack.

This system fits in a 3U rack box and runs the backing tracks for both my bands.

• Like 1

This is my live rack. Power conditioner, tuner, pair of amps and stereo graphic (one channel for each amp). Shown here atop the amp and Berg cab belonging to rumblefish. There's a Mike Hill mini hum eliminator in the back. that splits the output from the tuner into the two amps. 

image.png.2b25dccc26938a80a543e0d05c5ad676.png

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 1

I have one 3HE EBS headcase that currently only houses my HD350, and one 4HE SKB case that houses my Ampeg SVP-CL and SVP-PRO, a Korg DTR1000 rack tuner and formerly my Sennheiser EW300 IEM G3 in-ear transmitter, but currently an SWR Grand Prix that doesn't get used. 

• Like 1

My gigging rig from a while back, worked a treat and sounded great, but had to go once I stopped gigging as my room is too small...

IMG_3949.thumb.jpeg.6baa51b8efe7103e02100caa6e3b0cbc.jpeg

Changed it for a QSC 12.2 powered speaker that I use as a stage wedge most of the time for writing and practice, it'll serve perfectly well if I ever decide to go back on the stage.

Main tone is now provided by an HX Stomp and the RND Shelford Channel for the DI, I occasionally run through the UAD Twin and use the Eden WT800 or the Ampeg SVT emulations, although the Stomp's SVT and 8x10 models are absolutely brilliant. I still have the Boss Bass Chorus pedal, which does get hauled out occasionally, as it sounds unlike any other chorus, but I'll also use the UAD2 Roland Dimension D model, which is very good paralleled on a fretless.

DSC_0007.thumb.jpeg.daac5b69532d433091b9b9fb30db3f73.jpeg

• Like 1

Not got a shot ‘in the wild’, but here’s mine.

Doing a bass/drums noisy two-piece thing currently. Very happy with this setup for it, and the first time I’ve gone down the rack route.

Crown XLS 1502 Power amp and

Hilbish Design Beta Preamp (doubt there are many in the UK. I got very lucky finding this I think given the high shipping and import fees).

Using both channels, each going to separate cabs. Channel 1 dirty bass (from the drive on the preamp), Channel 2 routed through an octave up, dirtbox and other stuff. 

The photo doesn’t do the preamp justice either, it’s a lovely black sparkle finish

Sounds gloriously massive.

1FD056A8-6137-4988-8210-C0875FE495B6.jpeg

23 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Sweet - I really like that parallel processing thing - same as the Pearce - one for dirt and one for body - is that how you're using it or as 2 channels with footswitch?

Separate channels via footswitch at present. There is a footswitch that comes with the preamp but I’m switching via a Bright Onions ABY on my board.

I've been getting some really killer sounds by using one channel as the main meat of the sound, slightly overdriven, and then dialling in the 2nd channel as really growling and toppy and then just blending a tiny bit of that in with the main sound. Like the darkglass pedals that let you blend in some of your unaffected sound, but in this case there is additional processing of both channels - best of all possible worlds!

I have two racks.  One just has my Gallien Krueger Fusion 550.  It comes to gigs.

The other has a Korg Tuner, Sansamp VT Bass, and a little GK MB200.  It comes to rehearsals and gigs.  

Every now and then I think about taking the MB200 out and putting something else in the space, but I can never think what I need.  I'm not really into compressors.

IMG_20211119_110100.jpg

19 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Not got a shot ‘in the wild’, but here’s mine.

Doing a bass/drums noisy two-piece thing currently. Very happy with this setup for it, and the first time I’ve gone down the rack route.

Crown XLS 1502 Power amp and

Hilbish Design Beta Preamp (doubt there are many in the UK. I got very lucky finding this I think given the high shipping and import fees).

Using both channels, each going to separate cabs. Channel 1 dirty bass (from the drive on the preamp), Channel 2 routed through an octave up, dirtbox and other stuff. 

The photo doesn’t do the preamp justice either, it’s a lovely black sparkle finish

Sounds gloriously massive.

1FD056A8-6137-4988-8210-C0875FE495B6.jpeg

Is that a Sunn Beta clone? Recognise the layout from when I had a Sunn Beta combo in the early 80s.