Why become a member? ×

Amazon love/hate

Bunion

4 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Warehouse floor mate. I’m just a grunt!

May I be the first to apologise for using Amazon and indirectly forcing you to work in appalling, victorian workhouse-esque conditions. 

Here my brother, let me carry that p!ss bottle for you and help shoulder your burden. 

😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Maude said:

If they kill off the competition by being cheaper and more efficient, then put all their prices up, do you not think someone else will come along, undercut them and put them out of business? 

No, for the same reason as Facebooks dominance in social media. There have been several companies that challenged their dominance, but they bought them all.

Once you get to the level of income where your managing director can just make spaceships to take tourists around, anyone that does come in with a better product or a lower price can be just bought out or ground into the dirt.

My wife has an online shop, she does lots of custom things and has great customer service, but people often ask for help with some product and then say 'oh thanks, well I can get it on amazon cheaper'. And they can, they can get it for less than she buys it wholesale sometimes, because she lacks warehousing.

For me, those little companies have value and that support has value.

There is no effective antitrust thing that can stop you know when there are companies that have the income which is higher than most countries. They can just relocate to another tax haven like the UK protectorites have, pay for some government people to lobby for you, and you stay at the top.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Warehouse floor mate. I’m just a grunt!

Hello grunt. Thank you for efficiently packing my orders, your accuracy is appreciated. Can you tell me, there was something on social media a while back, about how Amazon floor employees get x amount of break time on their shift but it takes ten minutes walk to get off to the floor and to the breakroom. What was all that about then?

• Like 1

Of course theyre so efficient because they pay badly, ruthlessly exploit staff, haven uestionable HR practices, actively resist unionsnin the workplace, use limited packaging sizes to save on time and storage, charge their drivers for the use of the vans they use for their work (imagine the outcry if posties, DPD drivers or dustmen had the cost of their vehicles deducted from their wages?) and shuffle profits around the world to favourable tax regimes.

Their unethical behaviour is what makes them so efficient - the two are inextricably dependent upon one another.

So I refuse to use them as I have some tiny vestige of a social and environmental conscience,  and pay all my taxes without demur. 

Conversely, it bothers Mrs B not at all and she merrily orders stuff and marvels at how efficiently it appears on the doorstep.

Edited by Bassfinger
Sheet speelind
  • Like 3

Amazon also handle the logistics, distribution and technology that allows a massive amount of small businesses and start up companies to operate and scale. I think a lot of people forget this in the same way as they forget at the heart of most franchise models like McDonalds etc are just small business owners relying on a global brand to make ends meet. Not endorsing these businesses or Amazon but it’s not as simple as people make out. 

Oh and BTW anytime you watch Netflix you are using Amazon just one of many many examples.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

Last time I tried to log on to Amazon, they sent a verification link to my smart phone. Actually my phone is not smart (ancient technology Nokia), so I can't click or tap the link.

That's no problem I just go to Amazon technical support to get help. They send me a link to get through to technical support....

Almost everyone else sends a text  msg with an access code.

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

we've got about 1 million vacancies in the job market, everywhere you look firms are advertising for staff, if Amazon treated their staff anywhere as badly as some would like to think, why would anyone work for them?

Find some and ask them, perhaps?

22 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

Find some and ask them, perhaps?

it was a rhetorical question, according to @paul_5 who does work there, they're not as bad as rumour would have you believe, but that doesn't fit the narrative "large successful company, must be a right bunch of bastards who exploit the workforce" 

Amazon is my first port of call for anything I'm thinking of buying - except food.  They have a huge selection on line and their delivery times are super fast - even without Prime.  We have an Amazon depot just about eight miles away and I have not heard anyone who works there complain about their conditions.

I first used them after a trip to London several years ago.  I spotted a handy camera tripod in a shop on Tottenham Court Road but the £29.99 price tag put me off.  I checked with Amazon and the identical tripod was £9.99!  Guess where I bought it?

Super markets saw off your individual Butcher, Fishmonger, clothing shops etc.  and out of town shopping centres have hit the high street.  It is the way things are.  Amazon is also the shopping outlet for many small businesses who attract sales via that medium.

All my Christmas shopping will be through Amazon as I hate fighting through the high street and finding a very poor selection and indifferent "assistants".

Unfortunately, small shops, don't stock some items due to shortage. For example, I couldn't buy a puncture repair kit from a big name cycle shop, the shop assistant wasn't even bothered by my presence, I was the only customer in the shop! Amazon delivered less than 24 hours later, same with other bicycle related kit etc.

Nowadays,  to obtain something from a shop is a nightmare. You need to go to several shops to find what you need, and the likelihood is they're out of stock. You waste time travelling , polluting with your car, parking, several hours gone, end up frustratred. Amazon delivers next day and I can use time I would spend shopping elsewhere. Although I am not happy that prime video charge if you want to watch some TV programmes.

41 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Unfortunately, small shops, don't stock some items due to shortage. For example, I couldn't buy a puncture repair kit from a big name cycle shop, the shop assistant wasn't even bothered by my presence, I was the only customer in the shop! Amazon delivered less than 24 hours later, same with other bicycle related kit etc.

Nowadays,  to obtain something from a shop is a nightmare. You need to go to several shops to find what you need, and the likelihood is they're out of stock. You waste time travelling , polluting with your car, parking, several hours gone, end up frustratred. Amazon delivers next day and I can use time I would spend shopping elsewhere. Although I am not happy that prime video charge if you want to watch some TV programmes.

Other than food I rarely buy anything from physical shops anymore. The last time I tried my experience was the same as yours. Queues, indifference, no stock. I ordered the item (spray paint) in store on the Amazon app and it was with me that evening.

40 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Amazon win on delivery no doubt and their returns system is great.

They just don’t seem to be really competing in the bike space as the prices are so much higher.

I have considered wiggle for cycling stuff, would you recommend them? 

9 minutes ago, SH73 said:

I have considered wiggle for cycling stuff, would you recommend them? 

Yes, Wiggle are good. I also use Chain Reaction, Evans, Cyclestore, Merlin and Tredz. I’ve had a good few chains and tyres from ebay stores, but I don’t usually buy things that might need returning off ebay.

• Like 1

I will happily pay more just to ensure I don't buy from Amazon, don't get me wrong they are absolutely brilliant at what they do...prices are usually great, the stuff gets delivered 30 seconds before you even ordered and my high street gets more and more empty every time I see it and my council tax goes up by the maximum amount each year as I am expected to help fill the void left by the drop in business rates from the empty shops in the high street!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Yes, Wiggle are good. I also use Chain Reaction, Evans, Cyclestore, Merlin and Tredz. I’ve had a good few chains and tyres from ebay stores, but I don’t usually buy things that might need returning off ebay.

Evans what let me down!

I have worked for Amazon for 15 weeks as a "warehouse grunt".

I am leaving on Friday.

Reasons.

I have enforced 6 day weeks for the rest of the year from next week, including Sundays. I asked for the Sundays to be changed to Mondays (Sat night gigs). They wouldn't change them.

If I'm on the north side, it's up to 8 minutes each way to the outside vaping/smoking station. So 16 minutes walking out of the only break (30 minutes) between 6.40am/2.55pm.

The main reason though, is other staff and weak management.

Girl on station next to me last Friday did 1.5 hours work & spent the rest of the day in her phone either calls, texting or social media. All of which is classed as gross misconduct.

7 managers walked past her through the course of the day. Not one pulled her up. At the end of my shift I asked one why. Response was "I'm too busy".

This is the seventh time I've been next to somebody who has done this. They go home with the same pay.

They are defrauding Amazon & making a mockery of my hard work.

That's the main reason I'm leaving.

I'm very lucky, I WANT to work, I don't HAVE to work.

They aren't too bad to work for, they pay quite well, they aren't the perfect employer.