Jump to content

Bad drummers


NikkiSixxfan

Recommended Posts

Bass and drums are, in most instances, the rhythm section. It drives the band, and Its a partnership. If the partnership fails to lock in then there is no groove. Listen to some of the more basic bands, Its the locking in of the rhythm section that makes the music wonderful, despite the simplicity. If you cant feel when you are both in the pocket then there is something basic missing from your innate rhythmic ability. Perhaps this drummer is simply not that sensitive.

Edited by mikel
Adition
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I worry as I've always had the luck to play with good drummers. In my first band the drummer had learned by playing snare for a gold medal-winning 'jazz'  band (as in marching). He taught me a lot and our showpiece was to finish a twelve bar by just getting faster and faster until one of us lost the plot 🙂

 

The two drummers I'm with now are really good, very responsive, and will vary what they play to help the other musicians. Keyboard player was struggling with the timing of a solo, so drummer changed the snare pattern to give him something to follow. Both of them support me and make it as easy as possible for me to lock in with them.

 

This bloody drum machine is useless though, goes all over the place when it tries to keep up with me 😞

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of the drummers who the public think are poor, or merely acceptable, are some of the best to play with. Ringo, Charlie, John Coglan etc. They nail the groove and have the magic micro timing, a joy for any competent bassist. Chops and flash are nice but nailing the groove is the first requirement of a good drummer.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, mikel said:

A lot of the drummers who the public think are poor, or merely acceptable, are some of the best to play with. Ringo, Charlie, John Coglan etc. They nail the groove and have the magic micro timing, a joy for any competent bassist. Chops and flash are nice but nailing the groove is the first requirement of a good drummer.

 

Its unusual for joe public and musicians to agree on who is most talented.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see the point that bass players are the ones who lock in but it would need to be a pretty clueless guitar player/keys player that didn't notice a drummer who was not keeping time. The bass plays along with the drum groove but everyone else does too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I see the point that bass players are the ones who lock in but it would need to be a pretty clueless guitar player/keys player that didn't notice a drummer who was not keeping time. The bass plays along with the drum groove but everyone else does too.

 

Ts not usual to find guitarists and singers who don't think the same way that bass players and drummers do. Their playing is much more fluid and they rely on the bass and drums holding it together. 

 

The number of guitarists I've played with who start songs after being counted in and by the end of the intro are in a different tempo, some times having paused and hung on notes. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2021 at 13:48, TimR said:

The number of guitarists I've played with who start songs after being counted in and by the end of the intro are in a different tempo, some times having paused and hung on notes. 

You're being pretty charitable to describe this as "not thinking the same way" 😀

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...