Why become a member? ×

Unexpected NBD

Bunion

An unexpected NBD. 

So when I got up this morning I wasn’t expecting to head to Stoke on Trent to do a deal in a tree shrouded shady lay-by. 

I’ve been getting along famously with my stingray and modulus FU lately, the sound I’ve finally dialled in is the tone that’s been living in my head for many years so all my attention has been on that. 

But there’s the problem, my Spector LE 77 is a 24 fret and the stingray 21 while the modulus is 22. 

I found swapping from the stingray to the modulus not any issue but when I popped out the Spector for more of a precision tone It felt like the 12th fret was suddenly 

far far away. 

Trying to just pick it up and play a riff I was  on the wrong fret due to muscle memory reacting naturally to where I know I should be. (Well it Was on my stingray) 

So enter the market place for a quick peek (just research you understand) 

And I saw this…. 😯 

027DA6BA-BE18-4960-BD98-472899F29619.thumb.jpeg.9537ba7a0e6c12d094c3b5d311273d0b.jpeg

Oooer missus!! 

But it’s passive? It’s beautiful, but it’s passive? Musicman quality, but it’s passive? 21 frets, but it’s passive…

Suddenly GAS which I’m sure started in my bowels and then spread out to encompass my body kicked in and I was sending a PM to @ribbetingfrogto see if he was interested in a Noel Edmonds type Saturday morning swap for my Spector. 

After a bit of nail biting and googling the stinky poo out of ‘Musicman cutlass bass’ he agreed the Spector was something he did indeed like the look of. 

What can I say, shes a beauty, after getting her home and extracting her from the case she feels like a vintage bass, I can’t explain it, comfortable, familiar but worn in.
Punchy, juicy but also not a tone I’m used to coming from my bag ends, it is however a sound I’ve known from so many tracks over the years. 

With its split humbucking pickup, tone wide open it’s a rock machine, tone shut down completely ‘look at meeee, I’m James Jamerson’ 

8650F588-D23F-44DB-B33F-50DF8983BE0B.thumb.jpeg.0be893f85cd00ac5dbbe20b56f95151f.jpeg

What a cracking bass and through the full tube Mesa or my Ampeg SVT it’s straight out of the golden age. 

This IS a reason to have more than one bass. Completely polar opposite to anything I own tone wise, but being a Musicman completely familiar in feel and playability. 

If you’ve not tried one and are a diehard fender man then your missing out. 

If your a staunch fender man and will use nothing else then avoid this bass, it will spoil your boyhood dreams

The build quality is i feel better than any modern fender precision, custom shop I’m not including but they cost ridiculous amounts. 

The neck heel is a sculpted masterpiece

4E08DDB5-B146-4534-9739-49975271390E.thumb.jpeg.57a6da0bf8ec145c65f2d8b1eefd0380.jpeg

and the neck like most musicman basses plays like a dream. 

All in all what a great day to check the market place and thank you to @ribbetingfrog for the deal.

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 19

7 minutes ago, Highfox said:

If this has the playability of a Ray, it could be something I should try

Absolutely that’s why I was interested I love my ray but I wanted a more traditional sound. This bridges the gap in feel and playability

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Highfox said:

Congrats look's nice.

I have always had a love hate relationship with Stingrays, love the neck's but can never get a sound out of them I'm happy with!

If this has the playability of a Ray, it could be something I should try.

Same for me, necks & playability of Stingrays are awesome, just can’t get on with the sound - tho love it when others are playing them.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2021 at 20:29, Eldon Tyrell said:

Enjoy the ultimate P bass on steroids 😁

I didn't see any mention of the G&L L-1000, am I looking at the wrong thread? ;)

In all seriousness though, it looks like a really nice bass and sounds like everyone got what they were looking for in the end, huzzah!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I didn't see any mention of the G&L L-1000, am I looking at the wrong thread? ;)

In all seriousness though, it looks like a really nice bass and sounds like everyone got what they were looking for in the end, huzzah!

Well spotted. They are of course BOTH the ultimate P basses (on steroids) 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/11/2021 at 18:43, Bunion said:

The neck heel is a sculpted masterpiece

The other thing I like is the chamfered edge of the pickup where the screw goes in - makes it comfortable to put your thumb - a tiny detail but I like it!

G&L MFD very different sound from the P sound to my ears.