Why become a member? ×

Tower PA system, looking for recommendations and reviews

Dropzone

On 07/11/2021 at 12:57, owen said:

Bose kit is a lot of fun but there are WAY better options for the money. Get him to take them back asap.

I heard a Bose kit played outdoors (farmer's market) with a four piece band: guitars, bass, singer (no drummer). Sounded fantastic. Wherever you stood in relation to it, it sounded crisp and loud, but not blaring. Damned expensive, of course.

Yamaha DXS18 subs with DXR15 tops. I'm still blown away at the capabilities of just one 15 on its own, so two of these plus some 18 inch subs? Phenomenal. Not cheap mind, each band member is having to put in £600 for a second hand system. 

Just moved to a digital mixer as well, for the IEMs. That'll allow each person to control their own monitor mix on their phones which is mental when you think about it.

17 hours ago, AScheck9 said:

Not cheap mind, each band member is having to put in £600 for a second hand system. 

Hahaha!  Tell me about it!  I stumped up for an HK rig along with an X32 Rack and 4 Proel wedge monitors - I couldn't be doing with the potential arguments if someone left!

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

also reading with interest, im still lugging around an HK Actor rig that weighs more than the van, the best i have heard as a comparison for alot less weight is the powered mackie thump 1000w tops, very light, and the mackie powered bins that went with them though im not sure which ones they were, the ones with the little black plastic square grills on the front, that sounded nice

Edited by funkgod

Ok so tried it out. Personally I am very happy. It is not super loud but I would say more than loud enough for small and medium pubs. Large pubs will be loud at the front but quieter at the rear. The channels link nicely and the sounds save separately on the app which is great. We ran all guitars vax and kick drum and it sounded great. It did not shift lots of air but performed at least as well as expected. Reverb was good. All in all very happy

Yep we did get a second one. This allows all guitars and bass drum all in the mix as well as an iPod channel. Yamaha have really worked hard to make this intuitive. If we were doing a large venue I would hook up a couple of Mackie's but for 99 percent of 2hat we need this will save about 40 mins set up

• 2 weeks later...

This has been very interesting as I have been looking for a more compact set up for small pub gigs etc. I have two bands; a 60’s trio (vox x 2, bass, drums, guitar) with just the vox going through the PA and an acoustic band with vox x 3, acoustic guitar, double bass, and violin or mandolin, all of which would need to go through the PA.

I brought a RCF Evox 12 yesterday, got it home and it’s massive - too big with its large sub for the small gigs I’m planning to use it at. I spoke to the store about an exchange and they suggested the Bose Pro 8, but I’m worried because of the negative comments about Bose on this thread. I’m confused as they really rate it. I spoke to two other stores and they also came in with the Bose Pro 8 as first choice (along with the Yamaha StagePAS 600, but I like the idea of the linear column systems.

Advice appreciated….

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dropzone said:

I tried the Bose and was not overly impressed. I am well impressed with the stagepas. Appearing live in Bognor Regis if anyone wants to check it out.

Is that the Stagepass 600 you use or with the two conventional speakers and a mixer or the line array system?

On 07/11/2021 at 13:04, Paul S said:

My little blues rock trio splashed out on a pair of RCF EVOX 8 V2 , if that qualifies as a tower?

main_d2078cb1.jpg

They are brilliant.  We use these for bass, vocals and, on occasion, drums - not so much for vlume but to get a good depth of tone.  Crystal clear and plenty loud.  You can place them behind you as, for some strange juju, they don't feed back and hence to some extent eliminate the need for monitors.  Not cheap - ours were £900 each B stock from Thomann.

On 09/11/2021 at 13:09, Blink said:

RCF Evox 8

Fantastic bit of kit.

I’m looking to invest in a PA & was looking at these. Do you DI into it using no other backline, or do you have to support it with your normal amps / cabs etc? Appreciate that might depend on the type of venue, but in general terms. I wouldn’t be able to get that & my backline at the same time in my motor!! 😆

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

No backline, just into the pa. Due to some magic I don't understand these units sit behind us without any feedback issues and so I can hear what goes through without extra monitoring. Great kit imo. 

Awesome - good to know. Many thanks 🙂