Why become a member? ×

Bridge Ferrules allignment - is this right?

NewUser

I'm upgrading my bridge. I used some long Machine Screws, inserted through the Ferrules and placed the bridge inserting the screws into the bridge string holes. Alignment is so tight I'll have to back the screws back out to remove them. So warning, dumb question coming - Before I drill the holes in the wood to secure the bridge to the guitar, this is correctly aligned right? Straight through, no offset? 

1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

Did a few google searches and think I'm doing it right but I've never done this before and I'm nervous, I only get one shot and need to hit the bullseye. On this image I placed red X's on the holes I've not drilled yet. Just want reassurance that alignment is correct before I drill the holes in question and screw the bridge down to the guitar. Thanks in advance!

5.JPG

50 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve just looked at my US jazz and it’s hard to tell with the strings in the hole but it looks like the bridge is slightly forward of the holes, maybe to give it a slight break angle, I’m sure someone more qualified will be along soon 🙂

Yeah, that makes sense, wonder how far?

• Like 1

Prob the most important thing when installing a new bridge is to make sure it's set correctly for the scale length of the bass with enough room for +/- saddle adjustment. It might be an idea to mark a line 34" from the front edge of the nut (or whatever the scale length is) and use that as a guide. Position the bridge where you think it needs to be for the ferrules, then place the G and E saddles on the plate with the break point on the scale length line. The G will need some room for forward and back adjustment. The E will need more room to adjust back (towards the tail end). Do you have a pic of the bass wearing the original bridge? That would also be a useful point of reference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ikay said:

Prob the most important thing when installing a new bridge is to make sure it's set correctly for the scale length of the bass with enough room for +/- saddle adjustment. It might be an idea to mark a line 34" from the front edge of the nut (or whatever the scale length is) and use that as a guide. Position the bridge where you think it needs to be for the ferrules, then place the G and E saddles on the plate with the break point on the scale length line. The G will need some room for forward and back adjustment. The E will need more room to adjust back (towards the tail end). Do you have a pic of the bass wearing the original bridge? That would also be a useful point of reference.

This is exactly like my bass.

https://reverb.com/item/42414874-traben-array-limited-4-string-bass-guitar-w-gig-bag-spalt-burst-new-active-preamp

This is my bridge, string spacing is correct. 

https://reverb.com/item/43555417-hipshot-transtone-bridge-black

Hipshot transtone 

PS you people are awesome, thanks for the help!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewUser said:

If I have to move the position of the Ferrules I think I can do it. I'm repainting the guitar anyway. Some woodfiller in the old holes and drill out the new ones. Shouldn't be too hard.

In that case, if it was me I would try it with 2 fixing screws and fit the E and G strings to make sure the scale length/ intonation works, if it does you know the A and D will be be okay , if that makes sense 🙂

• Like 1

Looking at how close the saddles were to the pickup with the original bridge, I think the new bridge needs to be positioned quite a bit further north than you currently have it. Looks like the ferrules will need to be redrilled to get the scale length and intonation right.

1698289108_BassBridgePlacement.jpg.dea0027a67814ff3980739c819794f73.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1