Why become a member? ×

Which combo?

Silky999

I’m after a second hand combo for home practice, rehearsal and smaller gigs. I’m in a covers band with 2 loud guitarists playing rock and pop but nothing heavier than Foo Fighters lol. Budget is around £200-250. I have a GB Streamliner 900 and cabs for bigger gigs so a combo that is portable is a must so I actually want to take it out the house. Ideally I like to be able to keep up with a Boss Katana 100w x 2 with none of us going through the PA.

So far I have looked at a Blackstar Unity 120, EBS Classic Session 120, some Peaveys and some form of Ashdown. I have had a unity 500 before and stupidly got rid of it so I know I like the sound. I have also played through various Ashdowns and like them as well. I’m not a brand snob so have no issues with a good recommended used Peavey or similar. I accept that older combos are less likely to be as portable as new ones from a weight point of view. 

1. Would 120w of the Blackstar or the EBS be enough through a 12”? if not how much would be? I don’t mind more watts as long as it’s fairly portable but don’t want to be left wanting more in my battle with the guitarists lol
  2. Is there a silver bullet of a used combo out that I should be looking for that would be the best bang for bucks and meet my requirements?

Any options gratefully received……….

Just now, Lozz196 said:

With 2 loud guitars I’d be looking for 300 watts minimum so I wasn’t having to push the amp all the time. An Ashdown MAG combo is available within budget, should easily do the job.

Lozz…….210, 410, or 115……does it make a difference?

Well they all have their own voicing, so  with 2 loud guitars I’d look at which has the biggest surface area. You’d probably be looking at a 210 or 115 in budget, and to be honest for what you’re after I’d be all over this ABM combo on here:

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

With 2 loud guitars I’d be looking for 300 watts minimum so I wasn’t having to push the amp all the time. An Ashdown MAG combo is available within budget, should easily do the job.

Agree with this. Those Boss Katana's are quite loud, so you'll need a bit of punch behind you to keep up. A 250-300w combo would be ideal.

Although the Ashdown MAG's aren't the lightest around, they'll definitely keep up with 2 loud guitars and a drummist.

If you had kept the BlackStar Unity 500, that would have been ideal, as it's putting out something like 300w just as the combo (500w with the additional cab), and they're light.

The original Ibanez Promethean P5110 combo would be a very good fit.

Hard to find, but there is one on Facebook Marketplace right now though.

Make sure it's the original one you look for, every single version after the first one is pants.

Cheers,

Eude

2 hours ago, eude said:

The original Ibanez Promethean P5110 combo would be a very good fit.

Hard to find, but there is one on Facebook Marketplace right now though.

Make sure it's the original one you look for, every single version after the first one is pants.

Cheers,

Eude

No way, in my opinion, is this going to compete with two loud guitar amps (and I say this as someone who has one ...).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bassman7755 said:

No way, in my opinion, is this going to compete with two loud guitar amps (and I say this as someone who has one ...).

Agreed. I borrowed one once from a pal and it was impressive for a lightweight combo with a single 10" driver, but it wouldn't have been nearly enough in a band with two loud guitar amps.

Re. the OP's question, I'd be looking for a compact cab to use with the Streamliner, which is a compact, easy to carry head. Buying another amp in a combo seems a waste, especially as the budget is not large.

Edited by Dan Dare

Those Katanas are surprisingly loud given the size of them! 

So I have made contact with Richard on here and hopefully will soon be the proud owner of an Ashdown ABM C115 500 combo later this week. This is one of the original ABMs which I believe were made in the UK before being outsourced to the East. It fits the bill of what I’m looking for which is a bullet proof, reliable, decent sounding and powerful combo plus I love the fact it’s got some history to it. I know it’s not the lightest around but it has wheels and I have a ramp into the van lol.

I did toy with the idea of getting a smaller cab for the Streamliner than the Peavey 810 and GRBass 410+ I already have but I also fancied having a bit of a change of tone/sound option available as well. I like the idea of having an alternative separate rig and the one Richard is offering for sale on here is just too good to pass on.

This also appears to be a good starting point for a foray into Ashdown which I have used a couple of before at the local rehearsal rooms and enjoyed the sound.

Edited by Silky999
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just jump into the alligator pit here and say that 120 watts or thereabouts will be plenty for small band rehearsals and gigs. I found a Hartke Kickback 12 used, and have been bringing it to a few open mics with full band capability and PA. It throws nicely into the room and has plenty of stage sound. The Hartke is 120 watts and doesn't take an extension cab.

If you have PA, it's got an xlr out. There are good eq/shaping tools and the kickback design is nice for small stage monitoring.

You don't need big wattage for rehearsals or small rooms, even with 2 guitar players. You just need some efficiency. Unless you're wheeling in a Marshall 50-watt head and a slant 4x12, and are in a Blue Cheer tribute band, you should be ok.