Why become a member? ×

Bending notes above 12th fret cutting out

Stingraychris

Possibly a lone fret slightly high, possibly a shim under/ in the neck slot has raised the neck height, possibly the strings are set really low and play fine in lower positions……difficult to tell without handling the bass myself.

45 minutes ago, mybass said:

Possibly a lone fret slightly high, possibly a shim under/ in the neck slot has raised the neck height, possibly the strings are set really low and play fine in lower positions……difficult to tell without handling the bass myself.

thanks for the reply! There’s no shim in the neck slot, it’s a standard action level that I raised a bit today without making a difference. The frets I looked at today and took a few ink layers off with a luthier 12th fret and above. They are balanced with each other but I’m thinking maybe a few more layers might make a difference, but there might be something we haven’t thought of. It plays fine everywhere else as long as I’m not bending up to whole tones above the 14th fret

4 hours ago, Stingraychris said:

thanks for the reply! There’s no shim in the neck slot, it’s a standard action level that I raised a bit today without making a difference. The frets I looked at today and took a few ink layers off with a luthier 12th fret and above. They are balanced with each other but I’m thinking maybe a few more layers might make a difference, but there might be something we haven’t thought of. It plays fine everywhere else as long as I’m not bending up to whole tones above the 14th fret

Well, could be a string that wasn't quite ground to normal diameter or has a miniscule kink right 'there'.....

could be if the pickups are...

a) too close to the string when you depress at 14th fret or above...

b) very strong magnets pulling the string/dampening it.

If the fingerboard has a steep radius (like 12") it can happen more easily if you bend the G toward the D, for example.

To see if you have a high fret you might try to set the neck straight and use the blade of a cutter (must be brand new). They're usually pretty straight. Put it on 3 frets at a time and move it around in the spots where the strings usually sit and you'll eventually find a few high spots.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stingraychris said:

It’s a CIJ 60s reissue jazz bass from around 2000-2002 I googled the spec with no luck. Any idea how I can find out the radius? this was mentioned last time I had the bass setup. We filed down the frets at the weekend which helped slightly and made sure they are even. Thanks for the comments !

Your luthier should be able to tell you ?

Edited by rmorris