Why become a member? ×

Mustang Rally

Open E

They are absolutely fab and I've played...four JMJs so far and this one is the best, probably. Ordered it as a B-stock from Thomann and haven't been let down by it. Funny story: I asked Thomann about what B-stock meant in this case; is it technically ok, no wood damage or anything. So Thomann said: "it might have a scratch here and there". Well, it's supposed to have that, so...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Folkesy said:

They are fabulous aren’t they! 

I love everything about it, especially the finish and magnificent pickups. I also love my CIJ mustang, the neck on that instrument is sublime. 

Love mine, in fact the Mustang brothers got an outing at a packed out to the rafters gig last night 

5AAE4737-83AF-401D-83DE-0ECA7AECB405.jpeg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, martthebass said:

Love mine, in fact the Mustang brothers got an outing at a packed out to the rafters gig last night 

5AAE4737-83AF-401D-83DE-0ECA7AECB405.jpeg

I'm finding that Mustang + Markbass go well together. I was using mine MIJ Mustang into a Genz Benz 2x12, (figuring small bass + big cab would even out). But instead i've found the extra punch and slightly darker sound of a couple of Markbass 2x10s suits it better - makes up for some of the boingy woodiness of the short scale.

YMMV of course...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I'm finding that Mustang + Markbass go well together. I was using mine MIJ Mustang into a Genz Benz 2x12, (figuring small bass + big cab would even out). But instead i've found the extra punch and slightly darker sound of a couple of Markbass 2x10s suits it better - makes up for some of the boingy woodiness of the short scale.

YMMV of course...

I've been on MB for about 10 years now so haven't really tried Mustangs on any other set up; seems to work well for me though.  The MW sig can sometimes be a bit overblown in the bass end on stage depending on venue, but usually seems just fine FOH.  If I need a bit more definition I take the G&L Fallout which has a bit more flexibility. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

I've been on MB for about 10 years now so haven't really tried Mustangs on any other set up; seems to work well for me though.  The MW sig can sometimes be a bit overblown in the bass end on stage depending on venue, but usually seems just fine FOH.  If I need a bit more definition I take the G&L Fallout which has a bit more flexibility. 

Yeah I vary between a P bass and a Mustang to cover the same sonic ground at gigs. The P has a bit more definition but the Mustang is very much in the same ballpark tonewise for those gigs where an elderly P bass fears to tread…

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I got a bit of stick on the FB Mustang owners group for posting this, although it may not say Fender or Squier on the headstock (neither do Nash or whoever else makes a ‘Stangalike), but no one can deny its inspiration and most folk were supportive with their likes. Therefore, here’s my recently acquired Harley Benton Mustang type. It’s really not bad at all and not just for the money. The neck and pickups aren’t as good as the JMJ and I prefer the slab body of that bass, but the upper access is something FMIC could take a lead from.

1851923D-613B-4530-8771-0B5ADB999732.thumb.jpeg.9ac68216b9bc170acbee292c0456007c.jpeg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, ezbass said:

I got a bit of stick on the FB Mustang owners group for posting this, although it may not say Fender or Squier on the headstock (neither do Nash or whoever else makes a ‘Stangalike), but no one can deny its inspiration and most folk were supportive with their likes. Therefore, here’s my recently acquired Harley Benton Mustang type. It’s really not bad at all and not just for the money. The neck and pickups aren’t as good as the JMJ and I prefer the slab body of that bass, but the upper access is something FMIC could take a lead from.

1851923D-613B-4530-8771-0B5ADB999732.thumb.jpeg.9ac68216b9bc170acbee292c0456007c.jpeg

They look great to me, especially the bound neck. Are you going to change the controls to allow blending?

My Squier mustang is fab; I thought I'd want to upgrade to a JMJ (still might) but I'm really happy with it. I just wish the reissues had the same body shape, not really sure why they changed it (slightly more body behind the bridge on the reissues)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ped said:

They look great to me, especially the bound neck. Are you going to change the controls to allow blending?

First thing I did was replace the volume pot with a blend control.

• Like 2

Yep, I’m in on this too, love my JMJ, strung it with regular scale Elixir steel rounds and it sings. A lot easier on my back due to it being lighter than my other basses, but also due to the shorter scale making the playing position easier. Am considering a tort pickguard….

8463D37F-E1F9-4DF4-93C1-3853B7498D7E.jpeg

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 9

• 7 months later...

Love mustangs and have had a few over the years. The vintera is a probably my favourite though, I’m obsessed with the colour. The Mikey Way is a close second, wish I hadn’t sold this a few years back. 

IMG_9143.jpeg

IMG_1363_Original.jpeg

Edited by gemdids
  • Like 5

My '78 Mustang, currently strung with Chromes, though I do go back & forth with Labellas on it. 

I prefer the chunkier neck on this and the late 70's Mustangs to the MIJ one I had before, and the older Mustangs I've tried.

mustang.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Nick,

Never been a fan of the Fender shape, but the Mustang is kinda cute, gotta say. 👍

I see you’re (at times) using Chromes, just wondering about your thoughts on them. I have a set on a fretless build, and I’m not really sure about them. How do they compare with the Labellas, good sir?

🤘🤘