Why become a member? ×

Distortion (not fuzz) recommendations

Bassboy8917

Hi all,

I'm looking for a distortion pedal to add to my board.

I already have a big muff for fuzz sounds so I'm after a distortion that is heavier, maybe a bit more aggressive and has a nice bite to it to differentiate from the muff fuzz.

My shortlist currently is:

- Darkglass Alpha Omicron

- Jam bass Rattler

- Source Audio Aftershock

Does anyone have experience of these to say whether they'll give what I'm looking for? (Especially the Rattler as that is my current favourite).

Also open to other suggestions. 

Cheers 😁

17 minutes ago, Bassboy8917 said:

Wow, that definitely fits the heavy and aggressive bill!

Don't seem very easy to find for sale in the UK though.

Thanks for the tip

yeah, they're GNARLY!!!!

Occasionally one will come up for sale on here, you could always place a 'Wanted' ad though.

2 hours ago, soldersqueeze said:

"an extra knob for each control..."

Ummm what? So a course and fine control? Great sounding pedal but that's one of the stupidest bits of copy I've ever read.

Still, it sounds awesome and that's all that matters at the end of the day

It doesn't come with any instructions either, somebody got this response from Mr Blowerbox though:

"The top 4 controls are just like my Blower Box. Low/high cut/boost, distortion, volume into the 2nd part of the circuit. The bottom set are more like enhanced lows/highs, the bottom distortion control changes the frequencies that receive the most distortion.........The bottom volume is the master volume." 

I've recently got hold of a Laney digbeth preamp. I have to say the tube section can get pretty hefty, I don't know If they are in the right range but Laney have a bass distortion pedal as well that from memory was pretty awesome sounding. I think it was called the blackheath. Available in the UK and easy enough to return if not suitable. Not freakishly expensive either!

4 minutes ago, Bassmidget209 said:

I've recently got hold of a Laney digbeth preamp. I have to say the tube section can get pretty hefty, I don't know If they are in the right range but Laney have a bass distortion pedal as well that from memory was pretty awesome sounding. I think it was called the blackheath. Available in the UK and easy enough to return if not suitable. Not freakishly expensive either!

I'm waiting for the refined sound of the Laney  Sutton Coldfield.

• Like 1