Why become a member? ×

Any Way To Enhance Harmonics?

Linus27

23 hours ago, Linus27 said:

When I first did it, the rest of the band went WOW and a few people at gigs have said that bit when you were doing that thing, it sounds really good.

It seems to me that you already have it nailed. Obviously difficult to offer advice without hearing the part and context, but it's easy to fall into the trap of "Oooh, that's a good bit. let's make sure everyone hears it", by doing so, you run the risk of over egging it.

Edited by SteveK

Pickup choice can make a difference and their position. I like using multi band compression which can push the higher frequencies when needed but leave lower frequencies alone. EQ, of course, that will be useful - and a bit of drive. More saturation for a pronounced effect. If you want to make the harmonics stand out longer, then HPF a delay pedal so it only delays your high frequencies! But don't overdo it! 

You can pluck harder towards the bridge, meaning a louder harmonic without the string flapping around too much. On some instruments I have found that plucking with my nail or a plectrum helps, but generally an accurate and good left hand technique is where it is at. I can get more volume out of any bass with good technique first without the addition of the above, but it does help :)